Old Sat May 07, 2005, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Re: Re: Catcher's warming up without a helmet

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by garobe
I agree, While I acknowledge NFHS authority I also know that a jury would likely find negligence if an umpire knowingly allows a catcher to work in the squat without a mask and the catcher is injured. Some senior officials in my association feel very strongly that whatever happens before "play ball" and outside the fence is none of our business. As a three sport official and someone who deals with liability issues daily I think this is a unreasonable position. To assume that because the Federation or a High School Association has taken a position that this will automatically protect me from a negligence claim is dangerous. I find this position contrary to other positions the Federation has taken in this and other sports.
You cannot compare HS to other organizations. Theoretically, a high school game is on high school time. This means that the high school still has full responsibility for the student.

The same cannot be said of other organizations.
We are always taught that ANYthing that happens on or around a field is your responsibility once you are present at a site-you have been assigned by the school (directly or indirectly) to be the supervisor at that particular event;and as that supervisor you are responsible.Our association has had that confirmed by more than one lawyer...