The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 04:17am
Official Forum Member

Question

NFHS
Before the game starts, I informed both coaches that I don't want any parents behind the backstop because I believed that was the NFHS's position. (The backstop in this particular field is only ten feet from the plate.) Third inning, pitch catches outside corner for third out and I hear it from behind the backstop. I look back and see about 30 parents from the visitor's team about ten feet behind the backstop. I inform both coaches that I want EVERYONE removed from behind the backstop before the game will continue. (Visitor's coach pulls a HUHA and says its not his problem because he is the visiting team.) I get the home team coach to make everyone sit in the bleachers and the game continues without incident. Can I get a reference to the NFHS's position on anyone being behind the backstop?
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 05:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie
NFHS
... I don't want any parents behind the backstop because I believed that was the NFHS's position... Can I get a reference to the NFHS's position on anyone being behind the backstop?
Sure. I just called NFHS and talked to this really helpful (and sweet) lady named Sheila. She said it's okay if those folks are back there.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Willie, the only thing NFHS says about people being behind the backstop are coaches and bench personnel are not allowed back there. Parents/spectators are allowed anywhere they want as long as its not in live ball territory.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

At a number of fields, some of the stands are directly behind the plate. At others, there is a tarp on the outside of the fence directly behind the plate and the stands are down 1B & 3B lines.

I am not aware of any ruling to keep folks from behind the stands, other than game participants (coaches, players, other).
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
SC Ump

Sure. I just called NFHS and talked to this really helpful (and sweet) lady named Sheila. She said it's okay if those folks are back there.
Apr 30th, 2005 06:47 AM

The NFHS offices are not open on Saturdays at 6:47 AM. Liar, liar pants on fire.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The NFHS offices are not open on Saturdays at 6:47 AM.
Well I wonder who Sheila is. She was very helpful.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Person

Quote:
You never talk to anyone when you call the NFHS looking for rules intrepretations. The only ones that they allow to penetrate their defensive strategems are the 50 state associations representing the high schools in the US. Sheila is the all-night cleaning lady.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 09:54pm
Administrator

Re: Person

Quote:
Quote:
You never talk to anyone when you call the NFHS looking for rules intrepretations. The only ones that they allow to penetrate their defensive strategems are the 50 state associations representing the high schools in the US. Sheila is the all-night cleaning lady.

Winter Willie:

I am not going to involve myself in any arguments about NFHS turf wars. But, why are you looking for trouble regarding spectators behind the backstop? Do not go looking for trouble when there is no trouble.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NFHS
Before the game starts, I informed both coaches that I don't want any parents behind the backstop because I believed that was the NFHS's position.
If you don't know the rule reference, why do you think that? Do you always warn coaches before the game even starts regarding fan behavior?
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
NFHS
Before the game starts, I informed both coaches that I don't want any parents behind the backstop because I believed that was the NFHS's position.
If you don't know the rule reference, why do you think that? Do you always warn coaches before the game even starts regarding fan behavior?
Yeah, you are just looking for trouble.
From a partners point of view, Im wishing you wouldnt do that.

Old Sun May 01, 2005, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

My life is lived with parents behind the backstop.. Thats where many like to be.

Not sure how people get away with this bs except coaches must say "Well we gotta 'another one', but we gotta live with this blue so lets just try to get through it the best we can".

in fact, one field i work, the bleachers are on the Home side, and the only good clearing for the lawn chairs is behind the plate, in a semi circle, surrounding you - so I always have 20+ parents, not to mention kids playing ball, tag, or whatever other screaming and yelling you can imagine going on.

call the game and forget it.

[Edited by wadeintothem on May 1st, 2005 at 09:58 AM]
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:

If you don't know the rule reference, why do you think that?
Our board goes over all the rules at our meetings (which is where I first heard this rule discussed), the problem is the board never delineates between NFHS rules, ASA and the State Association rules. We are NEVER given a copy of the State Association rules to reference regarding HS softball.
Matter of fact, I had an AD call my voicemail (I had left for the game) this week to cancel a 3:30 PM game at 1:50 PM. I had called him earlier in the day at 11:30 to make sure the fields were OK and he assured me the game would be played. (At that time, I told him that if for any reason the game was canceled, he was required to give me a two hour notice or he would have to pay a game fee.)The AD's call on my voicemail was an attempt to get out of paying the game fee and when I told my board about it, no one on the executive board knew what the state rules were concerning this. When I got a copy of the agreement between the high school state association and the state board of umpires regarding cancelations- they were all amazed. (The contract requires a two hour notification of a cancelation to the umpire or a game fee must be paid.) No one on the board had ever seen it in writing.
My post regarding the "Parents" was to determine if the NFHS ever addressed the problem.

Quote:
Do you always warn coaches before the game even starts regarding fan behavior?
In my pregame conference at home plate with my partner, the coaches and captains, the majority of time is spent on talking about good sportsmanship and fan behavior where we address the issue of fans behind the backstop. The primary reason for removing fans from behind the backstop is to eliminate any possible distractions which may effect the pitcher but it totally eliminates any fan disagreements on any inside pitches catching the zone or any outside pitches catching the corners.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

my pregame with coaches/cpts is introductions, line ups, then have coachs verify everyone/equip legal, last: coach tell us about your field - we do ground rules & special situations.

thats about it.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 08:29pm
Official Forum Member

My man..I spend ZERO time on fan problems during the pregame. They have a RIGHT to be there as long as they do not disrespect the players or umpires. Get over it and call the game.
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Well, it is not an NFHS rule, so it must be local or state.

I do spend a sentence or two in the plate meeting reminding everyone that I expect good sportsmanship, but nothing beyond that.

IMO, warning the coach in the plate meeting about anything gets things off to a contentious start.