View Single Post
Old Sun May 01, 2005, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by WinterWillie

If you don't know the rule reference, why do you think that?
Our board goes over all the rules at our meetings (which is where I first heard this rule discussed), the problem is the board never delineates between NFHS rules, ASA and the State Association rules. We are NEVER given a copy of the State Association rules to reference regarding HS softball.
Matter of fact, I had an AD call my voicemail (I had left for the game) this week to cancel a 3:30 PM game at 1:50 PM. I had called him earlier in the day at 11:30 to make sure the fields were OK and he assured me the game would be played. (At that time, I told him that if for any reason the game was canceled, he was required to give me a two hour notice or he would have to pay a game fee.)The AD's call on my voicemail was an attempt to get out of paying the game fee and when I told my board about it, no one on the executive board knew what the state rules were concerning this. When I got a copy of the agreement between the high school state association and the state board of umpires regarding cancelations- they were all amazed. (The contract requires a two hour notification of a cancelation to the umpire or a game fee must be paid.) No one on the board had ever seen it in writing.
My post regarding the "Parents" was to determine if the NFHS ever addressed the problem.

Quote:
Do you always warn coaches before the game even starts regarding fan behavior?
In my pregame conference at home plate with my partner, the coaches and captains, the majority of time is spent on talking about good sportsmanship and fan behavior where we address the issue of fans behind the backstop. The primary reason for removing fans from behind the backstop is to eliminate any possible distractions which may effect the pitcher but it totally eliminates any fan disagreements on any inside pitches catching the zone or any outside pitches catching the corners.