The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 05:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
IMO, warning the coach in the plate meeting about anything gets things off to a contentious start.
Very well said!
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 07:54am
Official Forum Member

Between the lines.......

WOW ! being worried about fans, fans sitting positions, fans behavior, Being paid or not, 2 hour notice, warning AD's before lunch.....all of these things OUTSIDE the lines ! I'm now worried about what you'll call BETWEEN the lines. None of us are getting rich in this business but most of us still enjoy our "jobs" as umpires. You need to get the games priorities in order!
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Re: Between the lines.......

Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit
WOW ! being worried about fans, fans sitting positions, fans behavior, Being paid or not, 2 hour notice, warning AD's before lunch.....all of these things OUTSIDE the lines ! I'm now worried about what you'll call BETWEEN the lines. None of us are getting rich in this business but most of us still enjoy our "jobs" as umpires. You need to get the games priorities in order!
The "job" by nature is a contentious one, anyone that thinks otherwise ........
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Wow..

Maybe it is just me, but I have done far more games that were anything but 'contentious'.

Guess I just try to have too much fun when I am working.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Question

The job, by its nature, is judgmental, but not contentious.

There are contentious people you have to deal with from time to time, but that is no reason to begin the game on that note.

I always being with the expectation of good sportsmanship, and I try to project that expectation. Not in a "good sports, or else" way, but in a "lets have fun out there" way.

If it gets contentious, I deal with it then.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, you dont want to set a bad tone. You are just asking for trouble for yourself. Its a self fullfilling prophesy.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 12:32pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I'm not trying to hijack this or anything, but in some states, the officials (sport regardless) are required to mention sportsmanship in the pregame meeting and in some cases make sure the PA announcer has read the same statement to the fans as well. This PA announcement might be a conference thing as well, as I haven't seen it. I work football and basketball in Iowa and I know we have to read them the sportsmanship statement (captains and coaches) before the game. We also have to rate sportsmanship for the players, coaches AND FANS.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Pre Game

I officiate HS in Indiana. We have to mention 2 things per the IHSAA during the pregame meeting. #1 "Coaches : are all of your players properly and leagally equiped?" #2 Coaches and players IHSAA maintains that we show good sportsmanship thruout this contest". We can vary these statements to some extent. As long as the setiment of the IHSAA is expressed and passed along to the players and coaches at the time of the pre-game meeting. My second statement is more along the lines of "Coaches due to IHSAA rules I must mention that all participants are expected to show and maintian a sportsmanship attitude and display of actions but since I know that this will not be a problem tonight lets have a good game and play ball". I am still mentioning the facts that IHSAA wants mentioned while also maintainng a feeling along with the coaches and players that I'm not going into this game with a preconcived notion that bad things are going to happen. We don't have any thing "official" to report unsportsmanship attitudes on, but a e-mail or phone call to the IHSAA is always welcomed and addressed as needed by the state.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Basic pregame for me in ND is..

Introductions..

Coaches are your players properly equipped and is all your equipment regulation?

Ground rules..(or anything else we saw during our pregame inspection that could be a problem.)

Questions?? All right, let's remember to display good sportsmanship throughout the contest and good luck. Home team you may take the field.

Quick, to the point, and as cordial as possible. Try to set a positive tone for the game.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

I have had very few contentious games.. COMPETETIVE, yes, but even the guys at the major level tend to behave themselves. I think you can avoid more problems with your professionalism than with trying to deal with a problem before it happens...trust me, at some point in time, a coach has wondered WHY you brought that up in the pregame...and then he/she started to wonder why it would happen to you...and once they start to doubt you...they have no respect for you. I would seriously consider leaving that part out of my pregame..... but do what you will
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

gsf23 - ND (North Dakota?) Are talking girls high school? If so, when did ND start that? I haven't lived there for 7 years. What part of ND?

As for the original post, I only do adult slowpitch so I don't mention sportsmanship except to say something like 'Let's have a good game'. I agree that we should start the game out on a positive note, if at all possible. If we've had run-ins with someone on either team that we clear the air and let them know that this is a new game and what happened before is not going to affect how this game is called. As much as the players need to be good sports, we are held to an even higher standard.
Old Mon May 02, 2005, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tzme415
gsf23 - ND (North Dakota?) Are talking girls high school? If so, when did ND start that? I haven't lived there for 7 years. What part of ND?

As for the original post, I only do adult slowpitch so I don't mention sportsmanship except to say something like 'Let's have a good game'. I agree that we should start the game out on a positive note, if at all possible. If we've had run-ins with someone on either team that we clear the air and let them know that this is a new game and what happened before is not going to affect how this game is called. As much as the players need to be good sports, we are held to an even higher standard.
I think they started about 5-6 years ago, just with a few of the larger class A schools.