The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Question

I know some leagues in Michigan have adopted a "Hit by Pitch" rule that states that a pitcher is to be removed if they hit 2 batters in one inning or 3 batters in a game. I would like to know if that is a Statewide rule, a NFHS or ASA rule, or even an NCAA rule? Or is it just simply a league rule. I have searched but can't seem to find it anywhere.

Thanks.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Almost all the league I ump for use the exact same rule, however I don't think there is an ASA rule for it
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Definitely not an NFHS rule. Sounds like a local league rule.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Definitely a league rule only.

Not a good one IMO.
Old Wed Apr 13, 2005, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

I have had coaches say "Blue, that is the whatever number of batters
the pitcher has hit, you gotta get her out of there." However, that would
only be a legaue rule, and I agree with Jel, not a good one.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL

Not a good one IMO.
Why would you say that???... I would think it would fall into the same category as the 15 run rule. Just Curious..

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 06:08am
Official Forum Member

Since coaches will never pull their pitcher no matter how many batters they hit, how many do you think should be allowed ????
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL

Not a good one IMO.
Why would you say that???... I would think it would fall into the same category as the 15 run rule. Just Curious..
The run rule exists as a mercy rule; it simply notes the game is over, something everyone already knows.

This rule is one that requires other accompanying rules to be fair. After 3 errors, the coach's daughter must be removed from shortstop. After 4 bonehead coaching decisions, the head coach must be retricted to the bench. After the second non-slide in a "must slide" situation, the baserunner must be substituted. Then, you can pick on the learning pitcher for not being totally skilled in her position.

If it is a more skilled game, maybe the offensive coach might consider suggesting the batters stop crowding the plate. I have learned that calling a few liberal inside corners, and HBP dead ball strikes can accomplish that goal, too.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

Most leagues putting this in think they are doing it for safety reasons...

But in MOST games, the "better" pitcher is out there the majority of the time. If this girl throws 3 pitches that miss the inside corner by just a few inches, you want her gone? Good grief. Now you've got the crappy pitcher in there - and MORE kids will get hit (or we'll get to watch a walkathon).

I agree 1000% with AtlUmp - why penalize just one player for struggling when there are no rules to penalize anyone else on the field.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL

Not a good one IMO.

Why would I say that?

No rule basis for it unless it is deemed intentional. Most of the HBP marathons are in the younger leagues, sure the ball will sting, but if the batters are protected and coached properly, risk of serious injury is pretty small. The pitchers need to learn control and the batters also need to learn evasive technique.

I don't see the relation to mercy rules, if enough batters reach on HBP, the game will still end. If no mercy rule it could go on indefinitely.

If we start pulling wild pitchers, then we should also start pulling the F3's who miss catches, F6' who miss grounders and so on. Maybe even start pulling coaches who commit bonehead errors (that's a thought), or umpires who kick more than "X" calls.

If a league wants to adopt a rule as such, I wouldn't really care, nor argue. I just don't want to tell little Susie "you ain't good enough to pitch, come back when you learn better control". That is the coaches job, not the leagues job as I see it.

(and whie typing this, AtlUmpSteve, and mcrowder posted ahead of me about the same sentiment)
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Agree with all..

Just a league rule and a terrible one. Umps are more than capable of judging USC without mandating a pitcher change. Where I am some teams only have 1 pitcher.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

OK, now that I got you thinking.....

the reason I asked the question is that I had seen 3 girls get hit in the same inning. I was a spectator on this day, but knew the rule definately existed for this league. I would say not a big deal if it was a young girl. It was a High School game and the girl could throw some heat. She just couldn't throw a strike with any consistancy. The team did have other pitchers as this girl was the third one. The others just couldn't throw with any speed and they had been pulled. The coach finally pulled this kid and put in the starter. The game only had 1 blue for some reason. I had never seen her before so I assumed she did not know of the rule. That's how I got to the point of asking how far the rule went.

My opinion is that a rule of some sort should be in place for safety reasons. Last year I watched an 8th grader who could throw like no one else I had seen in years. This year she is a starter for the High School Varsity team. I don't believe every girl she threw to would have quick enough reflexes to move should she get wild. If she would have hit someone it might have been more then just a painful bruise.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, but a rule to remove the pitcher for hitting too many batters is rather silly. Next we should remove batters for sliding too many times in a game, and fielders if they get hit by the ball on too many grounders. Why the specific action toward the hitting of the batter. The batter is wearing a helmet, so there's no threat of head-damage. And even the fastest pitches don't REALLY hurt so bad that you need to remove players for throwing a HBP. Heck - it hurts more to twist an ankle or take a grounder off the noggin - but you're not removing players for that.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

What???? Read this...

even with a face mask on.

Tennessee's Sarah Fekete has Surgery to Stabilize Broken Jaw -- After Hit in Facemask by Pitch 03/26/05

Jenny Moshak, University of Tennessee Assistant Athletics Director for Sports Medicine, announced today that Lady Vol junior center fielder Sarah Fekete had undergone surgery.

"Today's procedure was performed to stabilize Sarah's broken lower jaw," said Moshak. "The surgery was performed at the University of Tennessee Medical Center by oral surgeon Dr. John Hudson. We expect a four-week period of recovery."

The injury was suffered in the top of the seventh inning during Thursday's 10-0 win over the Virginia Cavaliers in Charlottesville, Va., when the left-handed hitting Fekete was struck in the face mask by a pitch.

Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

2 philosophys going on here.
1) Your an umpire and don't particularly want too many special league rules.
2) Your a program director for a recreation council. Ages 9-10, 11-13, 14-17 and all kinds of parents are on your back every day. Coaches don't care what it takes to win, but all the parents want safety, and must slides, double bases, no jewelry..so they come up with a hit batter limit to make "everyone" happy.