Old Thu Apr 14, 2005, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Definitely a league rule only.

Not a good one IMO.
Why would you say that???... I would think it would fall into the same category as the 15 run rule. Just Curious..

Why would I say that?

No rule basis for it unless it is deemed intentional. Most of the HBP marathons are in the younger leagues, sure the ball will sting, but if the batters are protected and coached properly, risk of serious injury is pretty small. The pitchers need to learn control and the batters also need to learn evasive technique.

I don't see the relation to mercy rules, if enough batters reach on HBP, the game will still end. If no mercy rule it could go on indefinitely.

If we start pulling wild pitchers, then we should also start pulling the F3's who miss catches, F6' who miss grounders and so on. Maybe even start pulling coaches who commit bonehead errors (that's a thought), or umpires who kick more than "X" calls.

If a league wants to adopt a rule as such, I wouldn't really care, nor argue. I just don't want to tell little Susie "you ain't good enough to pitch, come back when you learn better control". That is the coaches job, not the leagues job as I see it.

(and whie typing this, AtlUmpSteve, and mcrowder posted ahead of me about the same sentiment)