The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Had an opportunity yesterday to work a three person system. A fellow umpire volunteered his time (well, he was paid a meal...which would have been cheaper to just pay him for the game) to work a little three umpire system. Had a blast!

In the first inning alone we had 3 or 4 rotations where first base umpire was covering home plate.

Just a joy to work this system. I love it! It's going to make it very hard to go back to two-person tomorrow night.

Besides college games, does anyone routinely work three-person during High School system? Only time we see it is at the deeper levels of the state tournament series and if we "volunteer" our time and work a game for free.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Only do 3 man at HS playoffs. Worked final championship last year with a 6 man crew!

Some tournies/rec games my wife and I will do a "freebie" 3 man just for the practice.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

AZ went to 3-umpire for the HS state playoffs from the quarterfinals thru the championships last year.

For all of our ASA tournaments, we do 3-umpire for the championship games and for championship play, we go to 3-umpire for the last 4-5 games of the tournament.

Our association also holds two 3-umpire classes a year, one in May and one in Sept/Oct. Any umpire that wants to be considered for a 3-umpire game must attend one of these classes.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

in NZ we regularly do 3-man.

We also have the "pleasure" of umpiring in 4-man mechanics on a regular basis.

This season we have also had 3 occassions where the 6-man was used.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nzumpire
in NZ we regularly do 3-man.

We also have the "pleasure" of umpiring in 4-man mechanics on a regular basis.

This season we have also had 3 occassions where the 6-man was used.
THAT'S IT!!!

You have far too many umpires in NZ. Please transfer some to the State of Delaware in the U.S. We'll treat them well.

Thanks,

Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Only do 3 man at HS playoffs. Worked final championship last year with a 6 man crew!
How do you stay out of each other's way with 6 umpires out there!!
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NorthAlaUmp
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
How do you stay out of each other's way with 6 umpires out there!!

Simple, you cover your base, or line and that's it. I had 3B, and the only call I got to make was a missed base appeal on a home run ball! was winning run, and base was touched! It really was easy, but I don't expect GHSA to go to the six man for the regular season!
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE

Besides college games, does anyone routinely work three-person during High School system? Only time we see it is at the deeper levels of the state tournament series and if we "volunteer" our time and work a game for free.
In Florida, we use 3-ump mechanics for District playoffs and state tournament. In Pensacola, we've been adding volunteers to as many of our district games as we can so we can practice the rotations before we get to tournament-time. I agree -- it's a better umpired game when you have a crew that knows what it is doing.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Y'all think a 3-umpire game is fun? Try working it on an 80' field!

Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

I must agree with FUblue, it is a joy to work 3 person. I personally enjoy being the rabbit and making the call at 2nd on a steal. For once, everything is there and you don't have to hustle to get into position. It makes everything perfect!
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

The Mrs. and I work some much 3-Person...Mainly NCAA...that when we get into a 2-Person game it feels really weird and awkward.

Personally, I think 14-U on up should be 3-Person in all state tournaments. I understand the arguments against it....that there is a shortage of umpires, the claim that money is tight, not enough umpires know it, Yada Yada Yada..... I personally don't buy it. If there is a will then there is a way.
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

3 man great--- must be a real pleasure
working 4 man !!
but--as was stated here-- you have to
use umpires who know what they are doing !
I worked a play-off game back in CNY years
ago-- I was 3B umpire-- a rotation situation
came up-- I'm over to 2nd-- the runner at 2nd
breaks for 3rd-- I look over and see no Plate U
covering. I had to hustle and was out of position
for a very close call at 3rd.
Thanks to the 1st base umpire who never rotated
and kept the Plate U at home !!
Associations should cover 3-man mechanics if they ever
intend to do it correctly !
Old Thu Apr 07, 2005, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

Mike mad\ke a good comment..3man on an 80' field is a PAIN..especially if youre the rabbit.... 4 man works good for that....
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MDblue
I must agree with FUblue, it is a joy to work 3 person. I personally enjoy being the rabbit and making the call at 2nd on a steal. For once, everything is there and you don't have to hustle to get into position. It makes everything perfect!
You haven't hustled in years!!!

Seriously, with three-person the constant "chicken with a head cut off" doesn't happen. You have time to react to situations, think about plays, and make judgments. Great example.

MD and I worked the other day in three person: I'm on dish, "J" on first, MD on third. SItuation: Shot to right field, throw to first. J opens up to see the play from the outside...no time to get inside AND out of the way...and throw goes wild. MD, even with his mild hustle, is waiting at second for the runner. We have a throw, and an out.

In two person system, either BU (J) or I have to bust our rears to get in the best position for that call. In three person, MD is there waiting.

I was moving into a position at third in case of a second overthrow. J was starting to peel a little towards the plate.

ALWAYS AHEAD OF THE RUNNER

In two person, you don't get that as much as you should/would like.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
The Mrs. and I work some much 3-Person...Mainly NCAA...that when we get into a 2-Person game it feels really weird and awkward.

Personally, I think 14-U on up should be 3-Person in all state tournaments. I understand the arguments against it....that there is a shortage of umpires, the claim that money is tight, not enough umpires know it, Yada Yada Yada..... I personally don't buy it. If there is a will then there is a way.
With all due respect, such a broad sweeping comment is out of line.

You obviously are not aware of financial or availability is different parts of the country. I would love to put three umpires on every game, but the bodies just are not there. Period! Even if there were bodies, it doesn't mean they would be capable of working a 3-umpire system. And nothing, NOTHING reflects as poorly on a crew than working a 3-man system with people who do not know how to work it.

And here is a flash for you. In some areas, the tournaments are so small, there ISN'T enough money to use that many umpires per game. People think that the finances of a tournament consist of teams putting in money and the umpires getting paid. Sorry, but it isn't quite that simple.