View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 08, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
The Mrs. and I work some much 3-Person...Mainly NCAA...that when we get into a 2-Person game it feels really weird and awkward.

Personally, I think 14-U on up should be 3-Person in all state tournaments. I understand the arguments against it....that there is a shortage of umpires, the claim that money is tight, not enough umpires know it, Yada Yada Yada..... I personally don't buy it. If there is a will then there is a way.
With all due respect, such a broad sweeping comment is out of line.

You obviously are not aware of financial or availability is different parts of the country. I would love to put three umpires on every game, but the bodies just are not there. Period! Even if there were bodies, it doesn't mean they would be capable of working a 3-umpire system. And nothing, NOTHING reflects as poorly on a crew than working a 3-man system with people who do not know how to work it.

And here is a flash for you. In some areas, the tournaments are so small, there ISN'T enough money to use that many umpires per game. People think that the finances of a tournament consist of teams putting in money and the umpires getting paid. Sorry, but it isn't quite that simple.