The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

I have been recently told that I will be working at the 18U National in Columbus, Georgia in August. Being from the Northeast (Maine), I do not work very many games in extreme heat and humidity that I expect to be working in down there, let alone a week's worth of it. I would like to hear from fellow umps that work in the area or work in this type of weather. Let me know what works to keep you going all week. What type of undergarments work best. I have worked a National in NY but the temps were in the low 70's. Thanks.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Here in Texas, softball and heat go hand in hand. The first thing that one must do is start hydrating several days in advance. For example, if I have a tournament to call starting Friday night, I begin pumping the water into me on Wednesday. It is also key to drink twice as much fluid as you think you will need while umpiring. I also like to alternate between water and something such as Gatorade, so I will get back some of the minerals..etc. that my body is losing.

Another thing that I do is carry a small ice chest (the six pack kind) with two towels soaked in ice water with spirits of ammonia in it. The ammonia helps to expedite the cooling process as well as supplies that invigorating punch when you breathe it in. I will apply a towel to my head and neck and exposed areas of my arms in between innings.

To prevent sweat from getting on my uniform, and making me look like a slob, I use the interawear shorts from McDavid. I have yet to move to the shirts, but I have heard others who have had such great success with them, that I probably will make that move this year. One thing, though. Make sure that you powder liberally and frequently the body parts that are covered by the interawear to prevent chaffing.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Can't speak of the McDavid stuff but the Mrs. and I swear by Under Armour for heat related under-garments.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 09:28pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with Skahtboi about hydrating several days in advance. 10-12 glasses of water a day for the two days in advance.

On the night before, I will put Gatorade in the freezer so it is rock solid. If you are travelling, this might not be possible, but I would still get it as cold as possible. In the SC sun, a solid 64 oz Gatorade melts at about the rate I need to drink it.

I'm not much into the special underwear items or the amonia water. I wear two cotton t-shirts and bring enough so that I have two fresh ones for every game. Yes, I have section of my equipment bag just for t-shirts. But fresh socks and t-shirts for every game is very well worth the trouble for me.

And lastly... make sure you rest on your game off. If you are on the two on/one off rotation, get cool. I was at a state ASA tourney once where the "umpire room" was also the equipment shed. 100+ outside and we are in an equipment shed with no A/C. On my game off, I would go get in my car and drive around just to have the A/C going.

Best of luck. The folks over there are great and you will have a blast. (I've got family there. If anyone offers you a PBR before breakfast, tell him that his cousin Dan said hey.)
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Duke,

Congrats. I also will be working an 18U National tournament in July.
The AFA tournament held in Beaumont, Tx. The heat and humidity are extremely
high during this time of year. I agree with Scott. Start drinking at least by
Wed. Cut down on coffee, tea, and soda pop. If possible, take lots of fresh cut
fruits with you. Oranges, bannans, grapes, watermelon, strawberries, and
the individual size puddings. Keep them on ice. They will replinish some
of the essentials you will need.

Good Luck.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

I am a yankee that went down and worked in Beaumont last July. The best thing that I did was drink a combo water gatorade mix between each 1/2 inning. About three swallows and then push the fluids between games. I also cut down on coffee and had very little if any alcohol.

Dry socks and shirts work too.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Glen, jokingly says, what about the pic I got from Lee?

The one taken while I was on the field at 12:30 Sunday morning.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Just for everyone's info, Schutt showed a new chest protector last summer @ the 18 gold in Marietta, GA with cool gel packets. Those umps who tried it said it was great at keeping them cool during the games. The olympic umps also used it in Greece. It is suppoed to be coming out this summer
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
Can't speak of the McDavid stuff but the Mrs. and I swear by Under Armour for heat related under-garments.
I wear McDavid compression shorts and love them.

Wear ONLY UA shirts and under-garments in the heat. Can't beat it! Second to none quality!
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

Key is hydration...keep the fluids in. We know that, we're adults.

Those who know me know I sweat a lot. I mean a lot. I lose a lot of fluids. First thing I do in AM of a tournament day is drink a 32oz Gatorade. During games I drink at least a bottle of water every two innings, in not every inning. I Gatorade it between games. Keep it coming in...I'd much rather have to use the restroom every 1 1/2 hours than to end up in a hospital with dehydration.

Most importantly, know your body and how it acts in heat. The humidity is the killer around here.

Only you know how your body reacts to heat...listen to it.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Gamecock territory is terrible for heat and humidity. Ive learned that proper vitamins and minerals help keep you hydrated. Also dont forget the sun block. Good UV protection, something thats waterproof has worked better for me. Good luck.
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Hey Duke,

Congrats on the selection. I hope to be working the 16U in Lagrange at the same time.

The advice you have been given is all good, the best being drink lots of water. I would also add don't over eat! The Georgia heat can be brutal in August, but as they say "it ain't the heat, it's the humidity" really holds true. With a full stomach, and the heat/humidity you'll get sick fast!

The mrs did the 10U SP in Columbus last year and one team (maybe two) from up north left early due to sickness from the heat, so do be careful.

Being used to it (lived here since '79), I don't do anything special, other than drink lot's of water. When doing tourney ball, I will hang a 3 gal cooler of water on the fence. It lasts me and a partner about 4 games, then fill it again. You won't be able to do that at Nationals, but you also won't be working 8-10 straight games! As for cool-down, I never go straight from the field to air-conditioning, I will stay in a shaded place still in my sweaty t-shirt for about 45 min to an hour, then get some A/C, food, etc. Going from extreme hot to cold hurts. Also don't forget the sunscreen, or you will wind up a "Georgia Redneck" and won't be allowed to leave the state!

About the Columbus folks, You will enjoy this trip! I worked the GHSA State Tourney there last year, Umpires are well taken care of! There will be plenty of water, Powerade (this is Coca-Cola territory), fruits, granola, and all sorts of other stuff. The complex is the most beatiful in the southeast IMO, and was the site of the 96 olympics. Columbus itself is a neat little city and there are many interesting things to see and do if time permits.

You will enjoy your trip, and we will try and order up some moderate weather for you! I would be glad to answer any questions you may have if you want to e-mail me!

Good Luck,
Buddy Logan
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Oh Yeah Duke,

I forgot to tell you to find a southern dictionary if you can!

If you learn "Yonder", "Y'all", and "Atsrite" you'll have the basics!
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Every body has given very good advice.
The basics are water, water and more water.
If you remember the rule of thumb that you are drinking today for what you will need tomorrow and keep it up, it will help a lot.
Go to a local grocery store and get a fruit bowl of some sort.
Fresh melons etc will help with nutrition and hydration.
Stay away from drinks that will have a diuretic effect, Coke, Mountain Dew, beer, or my favorite, Bicardi Limon.
As for undergarments, get away from cotton. Cotton hold the sweat and can actually impede the cooling process as much as it helps.
Cotton gets wet and then you are carrying weight on your body that binds and slows you down.
I use Under Armor, Nike Dri-Fit, Reebok makes some stuff as do others.
Use the undershirts and shorts, it will pay off.
Clean dry socks each game,
Have extra shoes so that you can altenate.
Have extra hats, one or two to alternate them also.

But the biggest thing is water.
Gatorade is great but if you guzzle it down right before a game, you will get in trouble. Sip it and mix up what you are drinking with water.

Most of all, have fun and ask for grits at breakfast. hehe
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Spirits of ammonia

Been there, done that, am a true believer.

It does hasten the body's cooling process. Try to find spirits of ammonia...not the bottled stuff they sell with the floor cleaning stuff. A little dab will go a long way.

And if you prepare water/ammonia towels or wash cloths in advance and stick them in your ice chest, be certain they are well sealed so they don't foul your ice or water.