View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Here in Texas, softball and heat go hand in hand. The first thing that one must do is start hydrating several days in advance. For example, if I have a tournament to call starting Friday night, I begin pumping the water into me on Wednesday. It is also key to drink twice as much fluid as you think you will need while umpiring. I also like to alternate between water and something such as Gatorade, so I will get back some of the minerals..etc. that my body is losing.

Another thing that I do is carry a small ice chest (the six pack kind) with two towels soaked in ice water with spirits of ammonia in it. The ammonia helps to expedite the cooling process as well as supplies that invigorating punch when you breathe it in. I will apply a towel to my head and neck and exposed areas of my arms in between innings.

To prevent sweat from getting on my uniform, and making me look like a slob, I use the interawear shorts from McDavid. I have yet to move to the shirts, but I have heard others who have had such great success with them, that I probably will make that move this year. One thing, though. Make sure that you powder liberally and frequently the body parts that are covered by the interawear to prevent chaffing.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.