The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 29, 2005, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Was that what I was doing wrong? Drinking it. No wonder
I did not think it helped. Just kidding.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 10:14am
smsuatroy

Duke,
Just saw a vest with ice packs in it that can be found on gerry davis's web page and runs about 100 dollars. Here is the link http://www.gerrydavis.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=625
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Hey Duke,

Congrats on the selection. I hope to be working the 16U in Lagrange at the same time.

The advice you have been given is all good, the best being drink lots of water. I would also add don't over eat! The Georgia heat can be brutal in August, but as they say "it ain't the heat, it's the humidity" really holds true. With a full stomach, and the heat/humidity you'll get sick fast!

The mrs did the 10U SP in Columbus last year and one team (maybe two) from up north left early due to sickness from the heat, so do be careful.

Being used to it (lived here since '79), I don't do anything special, other than drink lot's of water. When doing tourney ball, I will hang a 3 gal cooler of water on the fence. It lasts me and a partner about 4 games, then fill it again. You won't be able to do that at Nationals, but you also won't be working 8-10 straight games! As for cool-down, I never go straight from the field to air-conditioning, I will stay in a shaded place still in my sweaty t-shirt for about 45 min to an hour, then get some A/C, food, etc. Going from extreme hot to cold hurts. Also don't forget the sunscreen, or you will wind up a "Georgia Redneck" and won't be allowed to leave the state!

About the Columbus folks, You will enjoy this trip! I worked the GHSA State Tourney there last year, Umpires are well taken care of! There will be plenty of water, Powerade (this is Coca-Cola territory), fruits, granola, and all sorts of other stuff. The complex is the most beatiful in the southeast IMO, and was the site of the 96 olympics. Columbus itself is a neat little city and there are many interesting things to see and do if time permits.

You will enjoy your trip, and we will try and order up some moderate weather for you! I would be glad to answer any questions you may have if you want to e-mail me!

Good Luck,
Buddy Logan
Jel (Buddy)is right drink alot of H20, and whatever you do don't eat BBQ in the heat and then Ump. You will know if you do!

I might be up there to watch or I might go to see Jel and the MS. in Lagrane.
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

Ammonia

Glen,
An old acquaintance of mine from the Amarillo area prepared some of his "special" ammonia towels and His Helpful Wife put them in the ice chest for him. They were just laying in there atop the ice. He didn't think much about it...but he usually slugged down about half a Gatorade, filled the bottle back up with ice, and took it on the field.

It didn't kill him...but he was a "little queasy," or so he said, just before he started blowin chunks...
Old Wed Mar 30, 2005, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

and another thing. DON'T FORGET

THE SUNSCREEN ( UP BEING UP NORTH AND STUFF)
YOUR SHADES ( JUST THE SUN DOWN HERE IS A KILLER)
AND EXTRA CLOTHES ( SHORTS WHEN IN THE HOTEL AND GOING OUT)

LEAVE YOUR COAT AT HOME YOU WILL NOT BE NEEDING IT IN THE SUMMER ( IN THE DIRTY SOUTH CUZ IT GETS HUMID DOWN HERE )
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I use a camel back to make sure I get plenty of water. You can hang it on the outside of the fence and the only thing inside is the drink tube. THey hold anywhere from 70 to 100 ounces of liquid and will keep it gool except the tube. Squirt the first little bit onto the ground and you have cool water to drink. also keeps you from using team supplies or having your bottle/cup hit by an errant thtown ball.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by buddha69
and another thing. DON'T FORGET

THE SUNSCREEN ( UP BEING UP NORTH AND STUFF)
YOUR SHADES ( JUST THE SUN DOWN HERE IS A KILLER)
AND EXTRA CLOTHES ( SHORTS WHEN IN THE HOTEL AND GOING OUT)

LEAVE YOUR COAT AT HOME YOU WILL NOT BE NEEDING IT IN THE SUMMER ( IN THE DIRTY SOUTH CUZ IT GETS HUMID DOWN HERE )
You dont have to YELL.
Caps means you are screaming or yelling. Unless you are just a lazy typist, please stop yellin.
If you are a lazy typist, we might all think you are a lazy official; you wouldnt wont that would you.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rhsc
[BYou dont have to YELL.
Caps means you are screaming or yelling. Unless you are just a lazy typist, please stop yellin.
If you are a lazy typist, we might all think you are a lazy official; you wouldnt wont that would you.
[/B]

So Sorry!!! I sometimes have to leave the caps on lock at work to enter stuff in the programming system.

I didn't mean it that way, so SORRY!
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[ I sometimes have to leave the caps on lock at work to enter stuff in the programming system.
[/B]
mE TOo. I got chewed out several times. No harm, no foul, play ball.
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rhsc
Quote:
[ I sometimes have to leave the caps on lock at work to enter stuff in the programming system.
mE TOo. I got chewed out several times. No harm, no foul, play ball. [/B]

WORK...is for people who don't know how to fish! (golf, call ball etc.)

Hey ED, Have ya'll got any good seafood eateries up there? Prefer the "All You Can Eat" variety.