The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

At least two fans are suing, and the players' union is indeed fighting the penalties.
Old Tue Nov 23, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Who said oficials in other sports are supposed to stop fights by getting in between or touching combatants?
Not so!

In all 4 sports I have worked, it's try verbally or with long and loud whistles to get it stopped but never risk injury or touch anyone. Yes, I run between players about to fight, but not during, and there will be no contact by me.

Of course, the time I was knocked over a scorers' table while reporting a foul as both benches charged each other, was one I didn't see coming. My partner was in his proper position across the court watching players in the game, so no prevention by him was possible. The scariest one for me was trying to leave a field through the dugout after an ejection-caused forfeit when the losing team attacked the winning team in that dugout. Second base, here I come.
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

The football brawl resulted in a double postseason ban.

As for hockey's rules, a bench-clearing brawl results in a HUGE penalty for the players (third man in fight ejected and suspended 5-10 games, depending on league, and subsequent players 2-5 games, and fined). The coach can also be suspended and fined for failure to control players.

Bobby
Deut 31:6-8
Old Sun Nov 28, 2004, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bobby
The football brawl resulted in a double postseason ban.

As for hockey's rules, a bench-clearing brawl results in a HUGE penalty for the players (third man in fight ejected and suspended 5-10 games, depending on league, and subsequent players 2-5 games, and fined). The coach can also be suspended and fined for failure to control players.
You think that's a HUGE penalty? That's not huge, that's expected. The only way to control this at the pro level is the hurt the owner's wallet through restricting potential income. As far as amateurs and their teams are concerned is to just forbid every participant from playing any future games for an extended period of time, commencing immediately, not later. This isn't Baltimore!

Even better in hockey, just cancel the season! The Pro's are doing it and we all know how quick the amateurs are to emulate the pro teams, well, here is their big chance!

Old Tue Nov 30, 2004, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

it's much more refreshing to hear the comments on the fight over here verses on the basketball forum. they actually have people defending RA over there. no matter how many times people say that more than one person can be wrong in a situation, some are still saying that RA and his posse were justified.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

The ECHL this week handed a one-game suspension on three hockey players in Fresno (CA) who were fighting during their game with San Diego over the weekend. All three were ejected for fights taking place in the last five minutes of a game (a violation of ECHL rules - instigators ejected in final five minutes), within seconds of each other. The coach was also decked with a two-game suspension. The three players were each fined $40 (about 8% of their salary) in addition to their suspension.

Bobby
Deut 31:6-8
Old Mon Dec 06, 2004, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
therefore no potential lawsuits were laid

You can bet that by now every fan hit by a player in that melee in Detroit has a lawyer with visions of sugarplums dancing in his head.

Of course, the world has changed, but Ty Cobb once attacked a wheelchair-bound heckler. He also knifed a hotel employee who wouldn't let him in the service entrance late at night, fired shots at Philadelphia A's fans (who returned fire), and practically killed a black groundskeeper who had failed to remove his cap before greeting him good morning. As far as I know, there were no significant repercussions in any of those cases except that the Tigers agreed to pay the medical expenses of the hotel employee.
The first incident you refer is the infamous May 1912 Clyde Leuker incident inwhich Cobb went into the stands at N.Y.'s old Hilltop Park (then the home of the Yankees)and beat the crap out of this guy Leuker( who had been heckling Cobb unmercifully,calling his sister a half n****er,among other things)..who was missing three fingers on one hand,and totally missing his other hand. This WAS a serious incident,with Cobb being suspended 'indefinitely' by Ban Johnson the AL founder/president. This led to the Detroit players striking in support of Cobb,which also led to the infamous Detroit 'scab' game,where the Tiger owners hired some semi-pros to play the Athletics in Philly...losing of course 24-2....Cobb ended up with a 10 game suspension...
Old Tue Dec 07, 2004, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the info, ASA/NYSSOBLUE.

Those are indeed significant repercussions.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
WMB,

I don't watch much hockey, but what I have seen when fights
break out, they let them go. They have sticks, our combatants
have bats. I am staying away. My contract says nothing about me
getting in the middle of a cat fight and breaking it up. That is
the coaches job. Now if I was a refree for a boxing match, that
would require me to break it up at certain moments.
Hockey fights are the easiest of all sports fights to break up.

They're on skates, for crying out loud. They can't really plant and throw with any real force and the fact they're on skates puts them off balance easily. In addition, there is an unwritten 'rule' - once the linesmen go in, the fight is over. Only the VERY looney will continue to fight once the linesmen go in.

I would NEVER want to be in a position to have to break up a fight where people are GENUINELY riled up and can plant and throw punches with significant force.
Old Wed Dec 08, 2004, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Who said oficials in other sports are supposed to stop fights by getting in between or touching combatants?
Not so!
Hockey does. if you can get between two jawing or pushing players and move them away, you do it. It does involve physical contact with the players, but only for as long as needed to move them away.

Then again, I guess its part of the culture of the game that 99% of players will respect the presence of the officials and cease physical hostilities once the stripes arrive.