View Single Post
Old Sun Nov 21, 2004, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a bad one from Oregon

This fall there was a bad incident in Oregon.
Unfortunately, I don't know EXACTLY what the umpires did, but I do know what happened.
On the last play of the game, a runner slid hard into the catcher on the other team. The catcher was not involved in the play...the ball was hit to another infielder, and the batter was retired at first. The runner coming from third slid into the catcher basically because the catcher was standing on the plate.
The out was recorded at first and the game was over.
The teams were gathering for their post-game handshakes when the catcher and third baseman for the defensive team started hitting the girl who slid into the catcher. One player had removed her shoes (and their non-metal cleats) and pummeled the girl on the ground for several seconds.

The fight (if it's two-on-zero, is it really a fight???) lasted less than a minute, but was very out-of-the-ordinary to say the least. It happened in Oregon, in a softball-hotbed area.

I have not heard or seen any official repercussions, but...

In any previous encounters I have had, I have done the same as Mike and others...gone to the dugout when it's beyond the point of no return, record names and numbers, and stay the heck out of the way. I have no desire to be around a bunch of folks -- especially adrenalin-charged adolescents or young adults -- brandishing aluminum nightsticks.

I am, however, happy to note that in all the years I have been around baseball and softball I have been in such situations less than a handful of times. Been around fights? Yep...the usual baseball-type chicken fights where someone would have to go out of their way to get hurt.

RA getting booted for the rest of the year is TOO LIGHT, IMHO. Didn't like him much before this, like him less now. The man needs help...