Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Excellent Point GCU

Quote:
Originally posted by goldcoastump
Almost all of the top Softball and baseball schools are now teaching the fist strike. You look at the MLB umps and the younger ones are calling just like ASA. Also they don't turn there heads on call strike 3. If you turn you head for anything during a live ball situation you are asking for trouble.
I've noticed a lot mor MLB umps using a true "slot" position. They look so crisp. Knowing some of the guys who do AAA and A ball for local teams, they say some of the best umps are the ones who use the "slot" position and "fist" strikes. No flash, but very consistent. Players have noticed this too.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Re: I'm not defending the guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Been Dare

I'm just saying that pointing to the side is not, in and of itself, such a deplorable action.
Well, IMO, it is. The reason I believe that is because you need to remember the purpose for hand signals. They are not for the umpire to put on a show, they are there to inform those out of ear shot of what the call is. Just like holding up an open palm to the pitcher, the umpire must do so in a fashion where the pitcher can see it.

A strike call is no different. A signal to the side is easily blocked by a LH batter or a catcher moving to the LHB box to return the ball to the pitcher. This is why I also have a problem with umpires going directly to a hammer in front of their bodies instead of to the side. Not everyone can see it and when looking directly in from 2B/CF, it gives the impression the PU is shaking a fist at someone.

Quote:
I actually took more exception to his penchant for calling (in my opinion) pretty low strikes, and he didn't even show real good consistency there.
Here's a shock, I've got an answer for that also.

In all the LL play I've seen so far this year (baseball and softball), I've yet to see an umpire get their eye level down to the top of the strike zone. The guy last night only got down to the batter's eyes. Some umpires can adjust for being high, but not everyone can do that.

There is no reason an umpire cannot get to the top of the strike zone, even with small players. All one needs to do is spread, S P R E A D out those feet, get your hands off your knees and sit down. If you don't believe it can happen, go watch Steve M umpire sometime.

Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Mike, you and some very experienced ASA umpires may remember Tony Walsh, he taught Plate Mechanics at one of my first schools and gave the best reason for good mechanics.

He told us everyone on the 3B side was deaf and everyone on the 1B side was blind and it is our responsability to keep them informed of each pitch. If you say nothing on a Ball they know it is a ball. I knopw this has change now.

On a Strike while in the down position call Loudly STRIKE (or your own variation) now the people on the 1B side know the results of the pitch, Go to the up position and reach for the sky, and come to the "hammer" position at a right angle to your head and the people on the 3B side will also know the results of the pitch.

This is what I explain when rookies or newer upires ask why I do not use the "short hammer" the usual comment is "makes sense". But as has been pointed out to be politically correct and get good assignments, use the mechanics the UIC wants used.

The Bagman
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: I'm not defending the guy

Quote:
I actually took more exception to his penchant for calling (in my opinion) pretty low strikes, and he didn't even show real good consistency there.
Here's a shock, I've got an answer for that also.

In all the LL play I've seen so far this year (baseball and softball), I've yet to see an umpire get their eye level down to the top of the strike zone. The guy last night only got down to the batter's eyes. Some umpires can adjust for being high, but not everyone can do that.

There is no reason an umpire cannot get to the top of the strike zone, even with small players. All one needs to do is spread, S P R E A D out those feet, get your hands off your knees and sit down. If you don't believe it can happen, go watch Steve M umpire sometime.

Good Point Mike....Brian Smith from Michigan is another good example of a umpire who gets really really wide.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 06:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
I agree with all the softball umpire, it's gotta be a hammer strike.

Got a different question on the LL game last night. When the batter was hit by the ball and the PU called it a foul ball, what did everyone think? I agreed with the call. On the replay, I thought the batter was touched by the ball just before the foot touched the ground outside the batter's box. But, the question I have, is did anyone notice on the replay that the 2nd base BU was signalling to the PU that it should be an out? Kinda awkward, I thought.
Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 08:20pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
I agree with all the softball umpire, it's gotta be a hammer strike.

Got a different question on the LL game last night. When the batter was hit by the ball and the PU called it a foul ball, what did everyone think? I agreed with the call. On the replay, I thought the batter was touched by the ball just before the foot touched the ground outside the batter's box. But, the question I have, is did anyone notice on the replay that the 2nd base BU was signalling to the PU that it should be an out? Kinda awkward, I thought.
TexBlue,
I thought:
  • it was close enough to call dead
  • it was not clear the batter's right foot was lifted outa the box
  • the second base umpire was calling dead ball with two hands up
  • it was good that the batter struck out.

However, I was confused by the umpire telling the defensive coach something about "a step-and-a-half". What was that?

mick
    Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 09:14pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    [B
  • the second base umpire was calling dead ball with two hands up

However, I was confused by the umpire telling the defensive coach something about "a step-and-a-half". What was that?

mick [/B]
  • Yeah, I saw the 2 hands up at the 1st of the the replay. But, a few seconds later, he only had his right hand up, clenched and gave the motion, twice, which to me, looked like he was signalling she should have been out.

The step and a half thing, to me was his way of selling the call. The coach wasn't going to question it too hard on National TV, with a mike on. Probably some of that fabricated material that the coaches are usually throwing at us.
    Old Fri Aug 20, 2004, 09:28pm
    In Memoriam

Lightbulb Oh, my!

Quote:
    Yeah, I saw the 2 hands up at the 1st of the the replay. But, a few seconds later, he only had his right hand up, clenched and gave the motion, twice, which to me, looked like he was signalling she should have been out.

TexBlue,
    I will guarantee that when you have the dish and I'm in short centerfield, I will not be coming to you with an out signal to help you out.
    mick

Old Sat Aug 21, 2004, 07:36pm
    Official Forum Member

Re: Oh, my!

Quote:

TexBlue,
    I will guarantee that when you have the dish and I'm in short centerfield, I will not be coming to you with an out signal to help you out.
    mick

You and I will work great together, as I will never do that either.
    Old Sat Aug 21, 2004, 08:48pm
    Official Forum Member

An important thing to remember about LL Umpires is that they do it strictly for the kids,plain and simple.The "game fee" for all levels from league play to the world series remains the same,a hot dog and a soda.LL umps should be commended for their dedication to the kids.When my son played LL baseball a few years ago,I volunteered my time as an umpire.I eventually became the UIC for a 700+ kids program here in Reading,PA.I bought my own equipment,spent hours scheduling volunteer umpires,and even umpired in the District Tournament,still for the "game fee" of a soda and a hot dog.LL umpiring gave me my beginning to the advocation I now enjoy.LL umpires should be applauded for their dedication to the kids.I think they did a great job on the games I saw on TV.

Jeff
    NCAA Umpire
    NFHS Umpire
    ASA Umpire
    Old Sat Aug 21, 2004, 09:08pm
    In Memoriam

Exclamation Regarding LL umpiring

Quote:
    Originally posted by mo99
    An important thing to remember about LL Umpires is that they do it strictly for the kids,plain and simple.
    It's a nice, pure thought, Jeff, but not all of us do it just for the kids.
    Some games I work for the kids ("Hey Mick we can't find an ump tonight, can you help us out!!??!"), but for most of the diamond games I work, it is because I want to be out there.
    I primarily use it for diversion and stress relief.
    mick

Old Sat Aug 21, 2004, 09:31pm
    Official Forum Member

Re: Regarding LL umpiring

Quote:
    ..... but for most of the diamond games I work, it is because I want to be out there.
    I primarily use it for diversion and stress relief.
    mick

And that, to put it simply, is probably the best explanation of why a lot of us are out there. I've always said I do it for the enjoyment of it. This may put a little better light on it. Uh, Mick, are you starting to get too introspective on us?
    Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 06:21am
    In Memoriam

Re: Re: Regarding LL umpiring

Quote:
    Uh, Mick, are you starting to get too introspective on us?
    Not me, Rick.
    I generally wear contacts.
    mick
    Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 06:24am
    Official Forum Member

For the kids?

I like the sentimental thought about "doing it for the kids" but shouldn't we do the best job possible "for the kids." I mean, Billy Bob could go out there and call games "for the kids" and stink up the diamond. So then, is he really there "for the kids"? Further, I know several guys who have worked the LLWS, and trust me, their "game fee" is much more than a soda and a hot dog. One guy came home with over $500 in uniforms and equipment that was "give to them." To me, that's the same as a game fee.

But on another note, I just roled in home (6:20AM) from working a men's FP tournament. I left yesterday at 3:30AM. I worked 4 games. I drive 330 miles today. Why did I do it? For the barely three digit paycheck I got? Heck no. I did it because a fellow "blue" needed another umpire to work the tournament. He would do it for me, so I did it for him.

Tournament was average, but the umpire friendships last forever. I had a great time. (I had to remind myself of of that at 4:00 this morning as I had my eyes taped open so I would stay awake).

I love this game, and I love the friendships I have because of this game. That's why I do it.
    Old Sun Aug 22, 2004, 08:52am
    Official Forum Member

Re: For the kids?

Quote:
    Originally posted by FUBLUE
    I like the sentimental thought about "doing it for the kids" but shouldn't we do the best job possible "for the kids." I mean, Billy Bob could go out there and call games "for the kids" and stink up the diamond. So then, is he really there "for the kids"? Further, I know several guys who have worked the LLWS, and trust me, their "game fee" is much more than a soda and a hot dog. One guy came home with over $500 in uniforms and equipment that was "give to them." To me, that's the same as a game fee.
    I don't believe anyone questions the dedication to the game of LL Umpires. Just because we talk about them is no big deal, we talk about all umpires in the same manner.

And, like it or not, FUBLUE has a point. If you go to a NC, it is not a far-fetched possibility that you will see someone who you know just does not belong there and I don't see why LL should be any different. A NC should not be a reward for quantity or loyalty, but for showing your willingness to work within the system, wear the proper equipment and follow the prescribed mechanics and rules of that particular organization whether it is ASA, NCAA, NSA, LL, BR, PONY, USSSA, AFA, FAST, ISA, ISC, etc.

OTOH, I also would not support enlisting umpires from other organizations just to get what the local UIC believes the best umpire. I've always been a believer that your umpires should come from within the sanctioning body.

That being said, a few observations from some games yesterday. In the Canadian-Latin American game, there was what softball people call obstruction on a third baseman and the umpire not only didn't call it, he made up a BS story when questioned by the coach. I don't believe it was even questionable that the runner was being waved on only to run into F5 standing in foul territory.

Other notes, PUs doing a lot of walking while making their calls and one umpire pointing to balls as well as strikes. I couldn't figure out what he was calling the pitch. Same umpire swinging his left arm on ball four directing the BR to 1B.

Other than that, most umpiring seemed to be pretty good. Some of the PUs are getting down closer to the top of the strike zone, but I don't think there is any lack of low strikes. OTOH, most batters are up there swinging the bat and that is a good thing.