The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Not to continue to beat this horse, but four comments come to mind from your reply, AtlBlu...

1) Telling the social white lie is not hypocritical. So, when in the company of others to tell someone they are doing good, when you know they aren't, is not being hypocritical; it is being tactful.

2) Sounds like you are taking this personally (either for yourself or your friends).

3) I notice you are pretty new to this board, but we have pretty free and open conversation here, since this board is largly just umpires (not too many irate coaches, etc.) We do have a few players and coaches who post here, but it is not the free-for-all trashing of umpires you see on such boards as eteamz, for example. As a result, the "thin blue line" of backing up your partner does not really apply. If we were not able to critize ourselves (meaning umpires) here, the conversation would not be nearly as helpful for all of us (well, at least for me).

4) (withdrawn - no longer something I want to do)

[Edited by Dakota on Aug 26th, 2004 at 12:38 PM]
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

AtlBlue, Welcome to The Board, not to be confused with other boards. this is a great place to learn about thinkgs you thought you knew. By the way, how come your profile is blank?

The Bagman
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Question

WOW!

I really have no clue who is ATLBLUE (Rob)is, but apparentely he was looking for a place to 'stick it to me'. I have no idea who he is; the local tournament he speaks of is a 'B' tournament which my association called for many, many years. I have no recollection of who he is at all. I myself, have not called it since 2000. I was qualified several times to call Men's Modified Nationals as were 2 other women (one of whom has now passed), but our commissioner felt women had no business officiating at a Men's Modified.
I did not eat with the 2 umpires I thought were not qualified to be there, but were cordial to them, and never praised their abilities. Yes, I did ride twice up and down the hill from the fields to the gym with the umpires from Marietta that were volunteering to drive the golf carts and deliver water to the umps on the fields, and I helped out. I only rode as I cannot walk great distances now.
I am not ashamed of signing up for next year either; the UIC and I go back many years and Metro Atlanta ASA did a lot for me personally and professionaly. I either played, coached or umpired in Metro Atlanta ASA for nearly 42 years. I love Metro Atlanta ASA and always will.
I never mentioned any names, or associations, so why am I being attacked? LOL Must be some thin skinned folks that umpire still out there, I agree with Dakota.

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995