The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

(drat - subject line doesn't like "" marks... it was supposed to say

Not quite in the "he has new shoes" category...)

Fall ball started yesterday.

Third (single man) 14U game of the afternoon. Field is completely unlined except for a bit of the foul lines left and most of the pitcher's circle.

Batter executes a very effective bunt, due in equal measure to good execution of the bunt and mediocre defense.

As I am returning to the plate, defensive coach comes out to complain that the batter's foot was out of the box. I look over at home, an area complete void of any lines whatsoever, with a couple of pits where the batters have been landscaping the area, look back at the coach, smile and keep moving. Coach doesn't appreciate my reaction (OK, it was unprofessional, but ....), and lets me know it, and returns to her dugout.

After the game, the coach approaches to complain about the batter being out of the box. I said, "The batter's box is much bigger than most people think it is, coach."

She says, "I know how big it is."

I say, "OK, coach, how big is it?"

She asks, "Is it the same as in high school?"

"Yes."

"Then, it is one bat length from the front of the plate."

"Come here, coach. I'll show you."

So, we go back out onto the now empty field. I tell her the dimensions, and from where they are measured; I pace off the front of the batter's box, and draw a line. I ask, "Coach, where were the batter's feet."

She admits the batter was well inside the box.

Fall ball... otherwise, I would not have conducted a school (plus, I was feeling a little bad for having "laughed" - grinned, actually - at her).

[Edited by Dakota on Aug 23rd, 2004 at 04:59 PM]
Old Mon Aug 23, 2004, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Tom, After you grinned at her,you should have asked her if she wanted you to ask your "partner" for help.That always gets them in a 1 umpire system.Arent coaches great??The batters box is the same dimensions no matter what age or level ball is being played.

Jeff
NCAA Umpire
ASA Umpire
NFHS Umpire
Old Tue Aug 24, 2004, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to argodad
"The batters box is the same dimensions no matter what age or level ball is being played."

Well, it should be -- unless the grounds crew just happens to have a LL baseball frame lying around. Then you find yourself short a foot.