The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Did a tournament this weekend using ASA rules modified
co-ed where a could play 7 men and 3 women with the ruling the women must bat in the top half of the line-up using the normal m/f rotation. Problem occured when team A turn in a line up where in the 5th and 6th spots they had persons of the male gender batting. Team B waited till after the 6th batter batted then appealed the improper line-up wanting a BOO ruling invoked. Did not believed that we could invoked a BOO because team A did follow the line-up they actually turn in though it was improper.

Question: Should we have invoked the BOO as team B appealed
or is this just considered improper line-up and should be changed before the next time through the line-up without penalty?

Thanks

Don
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Ummm... I don't know the answer, but after trying to decide what to do, I decide that I would do the same thing as if a normal co-ed team had an improper line-up, perhaps batting in the order, m-f-m-m-f-m-f-m-f-f.

What does the rule book say to do if the above occurs? Perhaps the line-up exchanged at the plate only had last names and the umpire didn't realize that the official line-up did not have an alternating male/female order.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
Did a tournament this weekend using ASA rules modified
co-ed where a could play 7 men and 3 women with the ruling the women must bat in the top half of the line-up using the normal m/f rotation. Problem occured when team A turn in a line up where in the 5th and 6th spots they had persons of the male gender batting. Team B waited till after the 6th batter batted then appealed the improper line-up wanting a BOO ruling invoked. Did not believed that we could invoked a BOO because team A did follow the line-up they actually turn in though it was improper.

Question: Should we have invoked the BOO as team B appealed
or is this just considered improper line-up and should be changed before the next time through the line-up without penalty?

Thanks

Don

Many Coed leagues have rules that cover back to back sexes in the lineup.
Any time same sexes bat back to back, an out would be taken between the two, and they both still get to bat.
Most our our leagues and tournaments use this rule.
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 10:06pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Ummmm, didn't the tournament director or UIC give you a ruling or guidance how to handle this? It sounds like there is no issue, since the team sounds like they followed the modified ruling for the tournament. Your situation has some holes I'm curious about.
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Our local rec leagues use two batting orders with m/f alternating when we have an odd number of male or female players. when the last female batter batted the 1st female batter would follw the nex male batter etc
Old Wed Aug 04, 2004, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Don,

Local rules require local solutions.

It seems that BOO would be appropriate, but it would be up to those who modified the rule to provide a resolution.

Old Thu Aug 05, 2004, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen

Many Coed leagues have rules that cover back to back sexes in the lineup.
Any time same sexes bat back to back, an out would be taken between the two, and they both still get to bat.
Most our our leagues and tournaments use this rule.
genders