The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Probably a real no-brainer for you regulars out there but for this weekends tournament it says that the one minute rule (warmup time between innings is to be strictly enforced). However, it says that the next 1/2 inning starts immed after the 3rd out. It can't possibly mean 60 seconds from the 3rd out, or does it? Through all my HS FED games to my 16U ASA rec games I've never really enforced a strict time limit betrween innings (although I'm aware that there is one), I just make sure we keep the game moving. So I'm at a bit of a loss, I just want to make sure I'm being fair to both teams before the yelling starts and the coaches go flying.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbambas
Probably a real no-brainer for you regulars out there but for this weekends tournament it says that the one minute rule (warmup time between innings is to be strictly enforced). However, it says that the next 1/2 inning starts immed after the 3rd out. It can't possibly mean 60 seconds from the 3rd out, or does it? Through all my HS FED games to my 16U ASA rec games I've never really enforced a strict time limit betrween innings (although I'm aware that there is one), I just make sure we keep the game moving. So I'm at a bit of a loss, I just want to make sure I'm being fair to both teams before the yelling starts and the coaches go flying.

Thanks,

Jeff
Speaking ASA.

Yes. Read the definition of "inning" in rule 1 and then check 6.9. It specifically states that at the beginning of each half inning....

The rule is never strictly enforced, but it is a great tool to get teams to get their *** in gear.

Played our 18U States last night. Team meeting outside dugout EVERY half inning by both teams, no hustle by players to get on and off the field, etc. Talk about making an evening looooonnnnnngggg!

Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 07:00pm
Official Forum Member

we tell the coaches in the pregame that we will inforce the 1 min/5 pitch rule, so we use it to hurry them up in between innings. if the defensive team huddles b4 going out on the field then they'll get 2/3 max, but often its none if they're just toooo slow
Old Fri Jul 16, 2004, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

One Minute Rule

I've done several tournaments where they have had the one minute between innings rule. Some of the tournaments have also included no warmup balls in the infield or outfield after the first inning. I remind the coaches during the pregame about these rules.

During one of these tournaments a team started an inning with a new pitcher. When their team took the field the pitcher and catcher as well as the infielders huddled in the circle and broke with a cheer. When the catcher took her position I told her, one pitch...twirl it and hurl it, their minute was up.

Great way to keep the games moving and the tournament on track.

Michael

[Edited by MichaelVA2000 on Jul 16th, 2004 at 11:57 PM]
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 06:12am
Official Forum Member

Played our 18U States last night. Team meeting outside dugout EVERY half inning by both teams, no hustle by players to get on and off the field, etc. Talk about making an evening looooonnnnnngggg!

That does make for slower moving games. But I don't get into telling teams what the pace of their game must be. If both teams are moving at the same pace the entire game and now Team A wants to pick the pace up because they're losing, I see no reason that Team B must increase their pace too - along those lines, I'm also not going to allow Team B to further slow the game with obvious delays.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
In rec games, I don't worry too much about the 1 minute rule. In tournaments, I do. I'll cover that in my plate speech. Very seldom is there a complaint. If there is, it stops pretty quick, once a ball or strike is awarded. They can get out there easily in a minute, if they want too. Now, I give a ittle extra time if the catcher was on base and I can see she's trying to get out there pretty quick. Otherwise, it's a rule, I'll use it just like I do any other rule.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

When our association started calling for a nearby small town they were amazed that all of a sudden they were getting complete games in instead of the usual 5 innings. What changed? We say wwe are enforcing the minute rule to get them on and off the field. Can't tell you how many times I said "Hustle up we've got a batter waiting let's get a batter waiting up here!"

It's just a tool to help get complete games in.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ASA/NYSSOBLUE
This why ASA instituted the Courtesy Runner for the P/C....then there is NO excuse for the catcher not to be ready..ditto the pitcher.In tournaments/school gmaes I usually TRY to remember to ask the coaches to have somebody ready to warm the P up..I have found in most tournaments that the good teams are the ones that will only take THREE warm ups...with no Inf practice...
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

Im pregame I tell both teams in the Men's ASA Rec leagues that I ump that they get 3 warmup pitches or 1 min. max, whichever comes first, at the start of all innings. Mostly they think I'm nuts and that I'm making it up, 'cause no other umps enforce this rule. But when I've got 3 games in a night, or 4 on a Sunday, it makes a huge cumulative difference in saving time. In these Rec leagues, they want extra time at every opportunity (pre-game warmup, any stoppage of play), and we'd be there all day if they were allowed.

I've seen other umps who let teams dawdle at will, then call every semi-close play or closer as an "out" to end the games quicker. That's one reason I became an umpire. I could not stand that.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

BTW, ASA CB Play 6F.9-2 covers this issue.

"RULING: The one-minute time limit begins immediately following the third out of the previous half inning."
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

My training empahsized the concept of hustling not only by the umpires but also by the players. Specifically, inbetween innings we were instructed to allow 4 warmup pitches to start the game and an infield/outfield ball. After the 1st inning, one warmup pitch and no infield/outfield balls. Every new pitcher gets 4 warmups. Games flow nicely due to this. I thought there was a ruling on the # of pitches for warmup, perhaps this is just a SOP in my area and no actual rule....dunno but it works great!
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Last Saturday had an out of state team in for a seniors tourny. You should have seen the looks that I got when I told them that once I call for a batter the only throw of the game ball needs to be to the pitcher, they were still throwing it around when I had a batter in the box and I had announced "BATTER". I didn't even tell them what would happen if they continued to throw it around. Let's just say that if looks could kill.....

[Edited by ChampaignBlue on Jul 19th, 2004 at 01:55 PM]
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

Champaign,

You could have stopped it quickly by saying loudly, "ball one!"

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995