The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Yet another Possible Obsturction Situation At Home

Play at the plate, catcher sets up about 2 feet up the 3rd base line straddling the line, waiting for a throw from left field.

R1 coming from 3rd slides cleanly between F2's legs, no contact at all, but she ends up about 2" short of the plate. F2 catches the ball and tags the runner,

I knoww what I called, but I'm interested in what you guys would call.

SamC

PS: I also posted this situation on eteamz to see what the gen-a-rule public says, so don't feel like you hve to answer over there unless you want to.

[Edited by SamNVa on Jun 30th, 2004 at 12:35 PM]
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

HTBT but....

It appears that catcher's action caused runner to slide earlier than she normally would. Runner did not have a clear path to the plate, as catcher did not have the ball. I have OBS...safe at home, ready to 'splain it to the coach!
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
Yet another Possible Obsturction Situation At Home

Play at the plate, catcher sets up about 2 feet up the 3rd base line straddling the line, waiting for a throw from left field.

R1 coming from 3rd slides cleanly between F2's legs, no contact at all, but she ends up about 2" short of the plate. F2 catches the ball and tags the runner,

I knoww what I called, but I'm interested in what you guys would call.

SamC

PS: I also posted this situation on eteamz to see what the gen-a-rule public says, so don't feel like you hve to answer over there unless you want to.

[Edited by SamNVa on Jun 30th, 2004 at 12:35 PM]
A play requires a ball and a runner. Your post says F2 was staddling the line, waiting for a throw from left field.

As posted, I have no play at the plate, obstruction on F2 with R1 safe. I would have given the delayed dead ball signal and said obstruction on F2 as soon as R1 began her slide.

When F2 tagged R1 who was short of home plate because of the obstruction and all other play ended, I would call time out, declare obstruction on F2 and rule R1 safe at home plate. Then I would start thinking about a way to keep the defensive coach in the game because I know we're going to have a chat!
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Even though she didn't block the plate, she obstructed the runner to the point that she started the slide too early. Dead ball, obstruction, runner's safe. Come talk to me coach.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Obstruction

As described, I have obstruction.
Dead ball when the runner was tagged.
I also am going to make sure (most of the time) that any following runners advanced at least one base.