Thread: YAPOS AT
View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
Yet another Possible Obsturction Situation At Home

Play at the plate, catcher sets up about 2 feet up the 3rd base line straddling the line, waiting for a throw from left field.

R1 coming from 3rd slides cleanly between F2's legs, no contact at all, but she ends up about 2" short of the plate. F2 catches the ball and tags the runner,

I knoww what I called, but I'm interested in what you guys would call.

SamC

PS: I also posted this situation on eteamz to see what the gen-a-rule public says, so don't feel like you hve to answer over there unless you want to.

[Edited by SamNVa on Jun 30th, 2004 at 12:35 PM]
A play requires a ball and a runner. Your post says F2 was staddling the line, waiting for a throw from left field.

As posted, I have no play at the plate, obstruction on F2 with R1 safe. I would have given the delayed dead ball signal and said obstruction on F2 as soon as R1 began her slide.

When F2 tagged R1 who was short of home plate because of the obstruction and all other play ended, I would call time out, declare obstruction on F2 and rule R1 safe at home plate. Then I would start thinking about a way to keep the defensive coach in the game because I know we're going to have a chat!