The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Question

Okay guys I just wanted to know if you guys there on your ball field, have a cover back stop(the fence). I was just wondering. At one ball park that I was doing a rec fastpitch game there backstop was covered, and the other one that I normally go to doesn't. I have parents, coach standing behind the backstop. Trying to question my calls. Have you told and parents or coach that they could not stand there? What have said to tell them to move or do you forget about them.

Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

One park where I call a couple of times a year has the backstop covered up to about the 10' level. I figured it was to control the yakking from the slow pitch league fans.

As far as fans behind the backstop, I have no problem with them so long as they behave themselves. And that means they can't become disruptive. They can express their opinions on my calls to their hearts' content so long as they are not disruptive.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

I call on fields of both types.

You mean there are loud fans back there??? Really???

I try to focus on what's happening inside the fences, though I do get an occaisional laugh from an observation made outside the fence. For example, I learned last night that I have to call a "foul ball" if the batted ball hits the plate first, then rolls fair. (Shame on me for blowing such an obvious call)

[Edited by Skahtboi on Jun 29th, 2004 at 02:46 PM]

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Ed,

Most of the backstops where I have called are not covered. Like everyone else I have learned to tune most of it out. Two weeks ago I was PU, my UIC came to my field to tell me I would be changing fields for next game. He finally had to yell my first and last name before I heard him! Told him I tune out what comes from back there!

BTW, we will have a couple of teams from our area in the GRPA state playoff up your way in a couple of weeks. Treat 'em nice, and I'll tell the parents not to be too rowdy!
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
I've done too much AA softball. The other side of the fence is non-existant. Did a tournament out of town last year. The next week one of my softabll friends asked why I was so stuck up when umpiring. Turned out he'd been trying to say Hi at the tournament but I had never noticed.

Generally the parents back of the backstop can mutter away to their hearts content about balls and strikes and every other call. Kinda like Monday morning QBs.

Had a few problems with people in the stands shouting as the pitcher pitches last year so I am working on trying to pay a little bit of attention to whats said back there but usually a player or coach is going to have to bring it to my attention.

Unfortunately Sunday night we had a parent calling "Swing" as the ball got near the plate. Put an end to that pretty quick but didn't make any friends.

On another down side having the back stop 3 feet behind me gives parents the opportunity to give non-stop advice to their kids. One kid looked terrified of the ball, stayed wayyyy away from the plate on the pitch, now and then he'd step in and swing but really no hope of hitting it. Mom and dad kept telling him to move in closer etc etc. He was trying to overcome his fears and did not need their advice which was embarassing to him more than anything.

Only other comment I heard this year from the lawn chair crowd was one woman who said "Theres the ump with the cute butt!. Scorekeeper get that woman's name and number! Got lots of chuckles.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
Ed,

Most of the backstops where I have called are not covered. Like everyone else I have learned to tune most of it out. Two weeks ago I was PU, my UIC came to my field to tell me I would be changing fields for next game. He finally had to yell my first and last name before I heard him! Told him I tune out what comes from back there!

BTW, we will have a couple of teams from our area in the GRPA state playoff up your way in a couple of weeks. Treat 'em nice, and I'll tell the parents not to be too rowdy!
Jel,

Sorry I will be calling that tourney. I will be watching, but on Sat. the 17th of July I will be heading up to the Dublin to the Clinic for Fastpitch.

What are the names of the teams that will be up here so I can see how good they do?

Are you coming up to see them play or are you going to the Clinic?

Ed
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Ed,

They are the TROUP COUNTY ALL-STARS. Should be a 10U, and 12U team. I am certain of the 10U, my wife keeps one of the girls in her day-care this summer (cute little curly headed blonde/blue eyed catcher- Kristen). There will also be a little pitcher about 3' tall, cute as can be also, but makes the meanest "game face" when she is pitching (Amanda). Got a SS that some may want to check birth certificate for, (Emily), she looks older than 10U, tall pretty girl with a strong arm. Team coach (Carol) is local nurse has worked this age group for years. Wife also kept her grandson in day care. They are all a bunch of sweet little girls, and parents are usually well behaved! Hope they are that way in Augusta! We are proud of the kids, and hope they take top honors.

I will be calling the southern region(GPRA) in Thomaston, I think that is the same weekend. Did the Augusta trip with DD in 94, it was fun and they placed second.

Wife and I will be doing either the Cumming, or Marietta clinic for GHSA. Trying to schedule so as to not lose any tournies! Had to pass on a BB tourney in Columbus this weekend, kids coming home from college, want to spend time at lake with them.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

I'll watching them. I'll get you info on how they did. Have fun at the Lake!