The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Watched a lot of the womens CWS today. I was struck by how anti-umpire the commentators were, which since they are all ex-players, I guess isnt too surprising.

In the Stanfod/Mich game, a critical run scored when a line drive to F6 passed her and hit foul beyond 3d base. The commentators were ALL OVER the PU ("Smokey" somebody) until replays showed it "may" (in their word) have struck F6s glove in her attempt to spear it, which of course would have made it a fair ball (since ball was in fair terr at point of attempt). Never an apology or conciliatory word from them after 2-3 minutes of "of COURSE thats a foul ball!" "What is he looking at ?" etc.

Now watching FSU/UDub. LOTS of time spent showing asst coach for FSU 'watching' PUs strike zone and relaying it to F1. LOTS of commentary about how 'inconsistent' PUs zone is, how 'frustrating' it was for FSU and one commentator even called it 'questionable' !?! All this in the 2d inning.

Is this typical for softball commentators? Ive never heard MLB commentators openly rag on umps like this during national broadcasts.
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LMan
Watched a lot of the womens CWS today. I was struck by how anti-umpire the commentators were, which since they are all ex-players, I guess isnt too surprising.

In the Stanfod/Mich game, a critical run scored when a line drive to F6 passed her and hit foul beyond 3d base. The commentators were ALL OVER the PU ("Smokey" somebody) until replays showed it "may" (in their word) have struck F6s glove in her attempt to spear it, which of course would have made it a fair ball (since ball was in fair terr at point of attempt). Never an apology or conciliatory word from them after 2-3 minutes of "of COURSE thats a foul ball!" "What is he looking at ?" etc.

Now watching FSU/UDub. LOTS of time spent showing asst coach for FSU 'watching' PUs strike zone and relaying it to F1. LOTS of commentary about how 'inconsistent' PUs zone is, how 'frustrating' it was for FSU and one commentator even called it 'questionable' !?! All this in the 2d inning.

Is this typical for softball commentators? Ive never heard MLB commentators openly rag on umps like this during national broadcasts.
Well, if you want to tag McCarver and Morgan as "real" MLB commentators, I would have to disagree.

The women in the booth and on the field for this NCAA NC Tournament haven't a clue how the rules apply to the game. They call the game, play by play with no apparent ability to string them into a complete inning. Ward recently noted how a ground ball advanced the runner to 2B, and then noted that the throw to 1B was the 3rd out. The proceded to let the audience know that since it was the 3rd out, it really doesn't make any difference that the runner advanced to 2B.

Well, NO S H I T!

Old Sat May 29, 2004, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Think it would help if we all notified the ESPN execs of our extreme dissatisfaction with the coverage of the WCWS? (Or, for Mike, the NCAA NC.)

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

I did. There is a form at the following address and even though it more than likely would not do any good I sent my opinions to them.
http://msn.espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espntv.html
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

In afterthought I should have told them to contact Mike Rowe in Delaware to get in the booth with them. Now that would be entertaining!
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:

I know there has been a lot of discussion about obstruction, interference and train wrecks lately. Look at this play and you'll see a great example of a train wreck. 2 players on converging paths, defense has had her chance at the ball, off balance, stumbles into the path of the runner. This should be shown at all clinics as an example of when not to call anything.

As was stated, the views of the play were poor. I couln't tell if the ball went off the glove or not, so I'm going with the blue on the field, Fair Ball, run scores, let's play! Might as well, that's what's in the scorebook.
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

I sent in a response to ESPN asking that they consider using Jeff Hansen or Emily Alexander as part of the broadcast team.
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

I, too, sent a response to ESPN.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

"Ive never heard MLB commentators openly rag on umps like this during national broadcasts."

Either you don't watch MLB games on TV, or you turn the sound off.
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

bias?

Spell that I-G-N-O-R-A-N-C-E
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
I sent in a response to ESPN asking that they consider using Jeff Hansen or Emily Alexander as part of the broadcast team.
Both good choices, but to be honest, I don't think they would get the players to work the games as they would constantly be corrected.

What they need to do is get the players OUT of the booths and find some knowledgeable people, professional broadcasters to do the job.

BTW, anyone notice the comment that Brian McCall is the official scorer. There is the person they need to move over to the broadcast booth.

Old Sun May 30, 2004, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Mike -
I agree, it will never happen. Jeff & Brian are the wrong gender, and Emily is - well, Emily. I threw those 2 names out as they just might get recognized.

Can you just see the announcers whining about 3 strike zones and being told (on the air) what's your complaint - you're seeing the strike zone interpreted and called exactly the way the NCAA decided they wanted it to be called...............
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
"Ive never heard MLB commentators openly rag on umps like this during national broadcasts."

Either you don't watch MLB games on TV, or you turn the sound off.
LOL! I admit I dont catch much MLB on the tube anymore, but IIRC the comments are usually more reserved, like "hmmmmm..interesting call" "or perhaps the ump saw something we didnt see". Even when replay shows the ump dead wrong, its usually alluded to and not said directly. Finch and Co. seemed personally offended by the ump's calls in these games, about like they acted when they were playing, no doubt...
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 02:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
Quote:

Hey, I watched that same game AND the tourney too; and had similar concerns. This isn't just something (I believe) that should lightly be overlooked. I too, had wondered what jokers these ladies (commentators) are! It would lead to "travesty of the game," and especially since this game is relatively a NEW ONE--atleast televised, that is.

I've noticed similar actions of this FSU coach at the nfhs ranks, and this would carry down the ranks..not the best thing to happen, (as I'm sure we would all agree).

The MLB guys are usually more reserved w/ their comments. They usually say something like, "I think he missed that one," which of course WE all know, he prob'ly has no idea what he's talking about, or maybe the ump did miss it in the MLB. BUT, this is nothing like what criticizm the PU got in the aforementioned game!

This is my opinion, and I too, think it was bull****.

Oh, and ps, Thanks for the link to send in opinions to espn, dukat, it shall be used well!
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Why not Kathy Strahm as well? Not only did she play ball several years ago, but she is also the assigner for the Big 10, on the NCAA committee, was an Olympic Umpire, and is a terrific speaker.

Emily would be very very entertaining.