Thread: bias?
View Single Post
Old Sat May 29, 2004, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by LMan

In the Stanfod/Mich game, a critical run scored when a line drive to F6 passed her and hit foul beyond 3d base. The commentators were ALL OVER the PU ("Smokey" somebody) until replays showed it "may" (in their word) have struck F6s glove in her attempt to spear it, which of course would have made it a fair ball (since ball was in fair terr at point of attempt). Never an apology or conciliatory word from them after 2-3 minutes of "of COURSE thats a foul ball!" "What is he looking at ?" etc.

I know there has been a lot of discussion about obstruction, interference and train wrecks lately. Look at this play and you'll see a great example of a train wreck. 2 players on converging paths, defense has had her chance at the ball, off balance, stumbles into the path of the runner. This should be shown at all clinics as an example of when not to call anything.

As was stated, the views of the play were poor. I couln't tell if the ball went off the glove or not, so I'm going with the blue on the field, Fair Ball, run scores, let's play! Might as well, that's what's in the scorebook.