View Single Post
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Other little things I've noticed.

Umpires are being very protective of the zone and NOT awarding bases to those who lean into a pitch.

Also, what I believe to be another NCAA nuance is the ignoring of the slappers stepping out of the box. There have been quite a few, especially from Cal and LSU who have, without any doubt, placed their foot entirely in front of the plate and then contact the ball.

There have been a couple that seem to be running out of the front of the box, but that one can be a real tough one to call.

More fun and games with the announcers the last few days. Holly Rowe (no relation) mentioning how she just talked to the coach and reported that they were going to intentionally walk the batter in the box. The rest of the broadcast crew climbed all over that bandwagon talking about how the catcher isn't going to move out of position for an intentional walk because it is difficult for the pitcher to throw outside, yada, yada, yada. They carried that charade right up until that batter struck out and then seemed surprised that someone could strike out on what was supposed to be an intentional walk. Sometimes you have to wonder if they are even in OKC.

There was a 300' plus shot in one of the games. It only took the broadcast crew about three innings to figure out that was the actual field fence for the slow-pitch game.

BTW, if anyone is keeping score, I think the umpire crews are kicking the s*** out of the announcing crews.

[Edited by IRISHMAFIA on May 31st, 2004 at 10:47 AM]