The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

We have a couple of teams in our Open Men's ASA league that after they get ahead by a good margin, they swap positions, miss balls, trying to give the other team a chance to close the gap in the run rule. All they are wanting to do is bat again so they can score another 10 or 12 runs.

Had it happen last week. Team up by 11, I'm on the bases, the pitcher threw 8 straight balls which walked in 2 runs. Now the difference is 9, so we play the top of the inning, and this team scores 15 runs.

I cannot find this addressed in the rule book. Anyone have any ideas?
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Same thing happens around here.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gemini
We have a couple of teams in our Open Men's ASA league that after they get ahead by a good margin, they swap positions, miss balls, trying to give the other team a chance to close the gap in the run rule. All they are wanting to do is bat again so they can score another 10 or 12 runs.

Had it happen last week. Team up by 11, I'm on the bases, the pitcher threw 8 straight balls which walked in 2 runs. Now the difference is 9, so we play the top of the inning, and this team scores 15 runs.

I cannot find this addressed in the rule book. Anyone have any ideas?
Speaking ASA.

Rule 5.4.E. Forfeited Games

"If a team employs tactics noticeably designed to delay or to hasten the game."

Please note the term "noticeably." Know what that means, don't you? Yup, it makes it a judgment call!!

I would not suggest any umpire be hasty to employ this rule, but I would certainly make sure the team knew I was considering it. I've never needed to enforce this rule, but used it as a threat a couple of times.

One time I was glad I didn't as they fooled around so much, the other team got a big inning and came back to within 2 runs after being down by about 15 at one point. It started raining the the team who kicked the lead started whining about us not calling the game. I told them that lightning would have to strike 2B before I would stop the game. They ended up winning by one, but swore they wouldn't do that again.

Old Thu May 13, 2004, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Like Mike said. I've heard players say things like "If they score three we get to bat again" to which I repond to the loudest mouth on the team "You realize that since you said that if I see anything that looks like less than 100% effort I will be obligated by the rules to forfeit the game in the other teams favor? It's not me, I don't make the rules, I just have to enforce them." Never once went another inning after that.

When they ask why the rule they get the "travesty" speech and then the "How would you feel if someone had to go to the hospital because you guys were goofing around?" End of argument.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 11:44pm
Official Forum Member

Curses if I ever go to the darkside