The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
situation: Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, 2 strikes on the batter. The pitcher bounces the3 next pitch up to the plate, and the batter squares to bunt. She tips the ball which goes to the catchers glove, then falls to the ground. The batter takes off for 1st, and the catcher over throws F3 allowing R1 and R2 to score and the BR ends up on 2nd.

What's your call, and which coach are you going to share some face time with and what do you say to her.

SamC

Vets (and you know who you are) please hold off with your answers for a couple of hours to allow thr rooks and lurkers a chance to answer. Thanks.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
situation: Runners on 2nd and 3rd, 1 out, 2 strikes on the batter. The pitcher bounces the3 next pitch up to the plate, and the batter squares to bunt. She tips the ball which goes to the catchers glove, then falls to the ground. The batter takes off for 1st, and the catcher over throws F3 allowing R1 and R2 to score and the BR ends up on 2nd.

What's your call, and which coach are you going to share some face time with and what do you say to her.

SamC

Vets (and you know who you are) please hold off with your answers for a couple of hours to allow thr rooks and lurkers a chance to answer. Thanks.
Sam,

I have 2 outs and nobody on base with 2 runs across the plate. Any face time would probably be with the defensive coach, and it would be brief.

I had the batter out on the foul ball bunt attempt with two strikes and a live ball on the overthrow by F2. It's the player's responsibility to know the game situation and the rules.

Of course, I would have yelled the "batter is out" when she bunted foul with two srrikes.

Michael

Old Tue May 11, 2004, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamNVa
Aw, shucks... I was already composing my anwer in my head & then I read this!

OK. I'll wait.

PS - I disagree with Michael, but I won't even hint why.

[Edited by Dakota on May 11th, 2004 at 03:01 PM]
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

I half agree with Michael and Half disagree. I have the batter out on the bunt attempt 3rd strike foul and the runners go back to 2nd and 3rd on the dead ball. The foul was not caught therefore it is a standard foul ball thus dead. So you have runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs, Next batter up and I would prefer no face time with either coach rather lets keep the game moving.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

This is actually an easy call. No coach should need "face time" on this play.

But what if the catcher had caught the third strike bunt attempt on the pitch that bounced? What should the umpire call?
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
This is actually an easy call. No coach should need "face time" on this play.

But what if the catcher had caught the third strike bunt attempt on the pitch that bounced? What should the umpire call?
THEN I will agree with Michael totally.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Dukat!

Read the original play again.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Dont know if this is what happen on this play but last week had a similiar play where the catcher was playing up and first touched the ball over the HP which made it a fair ball and everybody just stood frozen until 1st base coached figured out why PU was pointing fair and told the BR to run in which she was put out at 1st but the runner from 3rd scored. BUT if not I agree with the other Batter out on attempted 3rd strike bunt foul and put the runners back

Don
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

I'm just curious about the thread subject "Mini-umpire's Nightmare"
Was this a game that used little umpires?
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

The obvious answer is: Third strike bunted foul - batter out, return the runners.

Sam... what are you up to???

Does it have something to do with the bounced pitch, or the catcher dropping the ball??
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

I reread it but apparantly I am missing something. Times up vets enlighten us if we are wrong.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kono
The obvious answer is: Third strike bunted foul - batter out, return the runners.

Sam... what are you up to???

From the subject of this thread, about 4'2"

Foul ball = dead ball. Last time I checked, that means nothing more can happen. And, oh yeah, the batter is out.

Old Tue May 11, 2004, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

That was my reply at first then the scenario came up where it was caught and not dropped.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA and probably other associations. If the ball went directly from the bat to the catchers mitt, even it it hit the ground first (bounced to the plate), I have a foul tip caught for the third strike and an out. Live ball. If batter takes off to first and catcher tries to throw her out then runners can score. Defense should know what is going on.
Old Tue May 11, 2004, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dukat
That was my reply at first then the scenario came up where it was caught and not dropped.
Yes, but I hate it when people ride on others' threads instead of creating a new one.

It dilutes the discussion and often confuses the participants.