The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Last night I had a U-12 FP game where the pitcher hit six batters within three innings and was constantly and consistently throwing inside to right handed batters. Her velocity was quite good for an 11 year old. I honestly believed that the pitcher was not throwing intentially at the batters, she was just wild inside.

I told the manager that he should remove the pitcher if she hit another batter as I was fearing retaliation from the opposing team, although this was not readily apparent. I heard quite a few comments from the parents in attendance from the team that was being hit.

The manager refused to remove the pitcher.

How should I have handled this situation?
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James V
Were you the umpire, the opposing head coach, the assistant coach on the wild pitcher's team, or a fan?

If the umpire, what rules were being used? Any local rules about this situation?

Speaking ASA. Unless you believe it is intentional, not much you can do.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I was the umpire, ASA rules.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was the umpire, ASA rules.
You cannot, by rule, forcefully remove the pitcher unless you believe there was intention.

The retaliation shouldn't have been your concern as much as the safety of the players.

If it is obvious the pitcher was NOT improving and the coach will not remove the pitcher, there are remedies.

I would suggest that you called both coaches out to the field (away from players and parents) and state that for fear of injury to a batter, the game would not proceed until the wild pitcher has been replaced.

When the defensive coach protests that the rules don't permit you to do that, agree with him. Then remind him that there is nothing in the rule book which requires you to umpire the ball game, or the other team to knowingly place their batters in harm's way. BTW, don't ask the other team not to play. If they choose to do so, it must be their decision, not your suggestion. You, as the umpire, must be willing to step away as if the team does, they would be subject to forfeiting the game if some idiotic protest committee disagrees.

JMHO,

Old Wed May 12, 2004, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
James,

Unless your league has a local rule covering the situation, there is nothing you can do unless you thought the pitcher was deliberately throwing at the batters. However I would keep an eye on the other team's pitcher and be quick to warn if here were any signs of retalitory HBPe thrown. It's one thing to hit batters because you're wild and another thing to do it deliberately.

SamC
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
I would suggest that you called both coaches out to the field (away from players and parents) and state that for fear of injury to a batter, the game would not proceed until the wild pitcher has been replaced.

When the defensive coach protests that the rules don't permit you to do that, agree with him. Then remind him that there is nothing in the rule book which requires you to umpire the ball game, or the other team to knowingly place their batters in harm's way. BTW, don't ask the other team not to play. If they choose to do so, it must be their decision, not your suggestion. You, as the umpire, must be willing to step away as if the team does, they would be subject to forfeiting the game if some idiotic protest committee disagrees.

JMHO,
I like this approach, Mike. Basically, you are giving the coach a choice: either remove the pitcher, or you will suspend the game for safety reasons and let the league deal with it. You hopefully get a new pitcher, but if it comes to "walking" it is the umpire suspending the game, not the opponents forfeiting.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Of course - if the pitcher continues to hit batters after being warned, you can consider it intentional and eject her... its a judgement call and just align up your judgement to fit the facts as seen and necessary for safe play. Once you have stepped up and announced you dont think it is intentional then you have limited yourself. Another thing you can do is Ball, Ball, Ball, Ball, Ball, Ball Ball, etc... the coach will get the idea. I havent had this happen.. i'm just thinking what might go through my head if this was happening.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
Of course - if the pitcher continues to hit batters after being warned, you can consider it intentional and eject her... its a judgement call and just align up your judgement to fit the facts as seen and necessary for safe play. Once you have stepped up and announced you dont think it is intentional then you have limited yourself. Another thing you can do is Ball, Ball, Ball, Ball, Ball, Ball Ball, etc... the coach will get the idea. I havent had this happen.. i'm just thinking what might go through my head if this was happening.
Sorry, brain will not permit FYCs.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

What is FYC?
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Use your imagination on the first letter but the other 2 letters stand for "YOU COACH" or "YOU CALL" depending on who you ask. I have heard it as both.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is FYC?
F--- U Call, maybe.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 10:25pm
Administrator

Quote:
Last night I had a U-12 FP game where the pitcher hit six batters within three innings and was constantly and consistently throwing inside to right handed batters. Her velocity was quite good for an 11 year old. I honestly believed that the pitcher was not throwing intentially at the batters, she was just wild inside.

I told the manager that he should remove the pitcher if she hit another batter as I was fearing retaliation from the opposing team, although this was not readily apparent. I heard quite a few comments from the parents in attendance from the team that was being hit.

The manager refused to remove the pitcher.

The first most important thing to remember is that this is 12U girls' fastpitch softball. The vast majority of the players are playing softball for the very first time and are just learning the game. The skill of the players at this age level will be all over the spectrum from very good to very bad. Unless something has already happened in the game that would lead you to believe that the pitcher was deliberately trying to hit batters there is nothing you can do. You even said yourself the you believed that the girl was not trying to hit any batters. The fact that she did not have very good control is not your concern. The pitcher was wild and her coach may not have had any other girl to take her place so he/she was just doing the best coaching job possible given the circumstances. It is not a sports official's job to tell a coach that his/her pitcher is not cutting the mustard and that you want the pitcher replaced.

Furthermore, this is not a safety issue as some people in this thread have put forward. I am sure that there are many officials reading my post and thinking that I am doing a flip-flop on a safety issue but I am being consistent with my beliefs. The rules of the sport define the safety issues and a pitcher who does not have good control is not one of them. And the thing you should absolutely not do is what IRISHMAFIA has suggested. The girl is wild, let it alone, her coach will deal with it in his/her own way.

After all, we do not take kindly to a coach telling us that we are not doing a very good job, so I would not suggest telling a coach that his/her pitcher is not doing a very good job either.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
As Mike stated, you gotta go with how you feel. If, in your judgement, she is intentionally hitting the batters, lose the pitcher. If not, you may need to talk to the coaches about crowd control.

I was doing a PONY National 2 years ago. 1 day was in the Mustang (10-U) group. I had a pitcher who was clocked in the mid 50's. This is a 10 year old. She was from Glen's area, Crystal City. She hit the 1st 6 batters of the game. After the batters quit digging in, she started throwing strikes. Towards the end of the game, she hit 4 more in a row, since they were starting to hit her. The team's parents whose kids were getting hit were getting pretty loud, obnoxious, and threatening. I called for the TD to come up to the field and got both coaches out in the infield. I told the pitcher's coach I was starting to wonder about the timing of the HBP's. I told the other head coach to control the his crowd and I didn't need to hear anymore threats about hitting their players. The TD came up and demanded I eject the pitcher on the next HBP. I flat out refused, told him it was my field, I'd do what I thought was proper. I just wanted him for what was going on outside the fence. Sure enough, she hit another batter, after a girl got a hit off her. I called the coach back to me and told him that was enough. His response was " They just need to learn to get of the way of the pitch."

My ejection of the coach was a lot louder than his protest. The pitcher left with him. Come to find out, after the game, she had already sent one batter to the hospital for X-Rays on the elbow. She hit 9 batters in a previous game that day, under the same circumstances. I was glad to not know any of this, as it left my mind unclouded about was going on in my game. I have no problem with HBP's, just not intentional ones.

Glen, you probably have called her in the last year or so. She would be in the 12-U now. Little Oriental girl, tall, skinny (or was then, anyway). She plays out of Corpus, in the Crystal City Youth League.
Old Wed May 12, 2004, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Quote:
What is FYC?
F--- U Call, maybe.
Why is it my call? : )
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 06:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Quote:
What is FYC?
F--- U Call, maybe.
Why is it my call? : )
Cause, you da man!

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.