The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 03:52am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Qustion: If I have a base runner on 3rd base, with 2 outs. The ball is pitched, the batter swings and misses (by about a foot I might add). The ball glances off the catches glove, hitting her knee pads and bouncing into the field toward 2nd basemen, the defensive team isn't even paying attention. So I send the runner home from 3rd base. The batter at this time, realizes the ball is in play, takes off running for 1st base. (The runner later says that she thought she hit it). The runner going home scores, on a thow and missed tag at home by the 2nd baseman. The Umpire calls the batter running to 1st base out, he says it is interference???? She wasn't technically even in the play, and the defensive team didn't even make a play on her. They chose to try and throw the girl out at home. Was this the right call ???? I have no idea, so I didn't argue it with the umpires????

Can anyone let me know. Thanks in advance

Palmer...
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 05:36am
Official Forum Member

Bad call by the ump. The defense should have known the numbers of strikes but was simply asleep. To try to claim the runner interfered by running to 1B is stretching things too far.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Bad call by the ump. The defense should have known the numbers of strikes but was simply asleep. To try to claim the runner interfered by running to 1B is stretching things too far.
Speaking ASA, Grey is 100% right. Don't know about other assns.

Old Tue May 04, 2004, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by greymule
Speaking ASA, Grey is 100% right. Don't know about other assns.

I know about 9-10 years ago, it was interference in ASA for running to 1st base and trying to draw a throw. Then, they decided it's just a bad defensive play to fall for it. I don't know of any organization who calls this interference anymore. Of course, I don't call all of them either.
Old Tue May 04, 2004, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Had a girl run to first on BALL TWO (no strikes) last night when it got away. They made a play on her that went into right field, 2 runners scored. I'm sure there was no intent by the batter, as she was truly embarrassed when I called her back, announcing the count 2-0.
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Had a girl run to first on BALL TWO (no strikes) last night when it got away. They made a play on her that went into right field, 2 runners scored. I'm sure there was no intent by the batter, as she was truly embarrassed when I called her back, announcing the count 2-0.
I've had similar situations and i know of a coach who has done this on purpose to get runs on the error. As an ump I state the count often.. I'm not a silent ump - I consider that about the best I can do to keep people aware of the count - if they throw to 1b on strike two; its on them.
Old Wed May 05, 2004, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Am I missing Something Here, Tex ???

TexBlue. The original post said that there was 2 outs and runner on third. Unfortunetly the # of strikes was not mentioned. For conversation sake, if indeed there had been 2 strikes prior to the swing mentioned this would simply be a dropped third strike situation correct. I know the rule used to be if the the dropped third was not in effect or could not be applied then interference could be called several years ago if the batter ran to try and draw a throw. Or as it is refered to locally as a "DC" play. "Dumb Catcher". Is this what you are refering to ?