The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking Fed. I was wondering how your local associations handle the jewelry issue? This year it was barely mentioned but in the past the question was raised about what to do when you see tape/bandaids on an ear. We were told that we could not ask to see under the tape anymore than we could ask a girl to raise her shirt to see if she had a naval piercing. In other words, if the player said her "ears were sore" because she had to take out studs (yes, I heard this explanation last year) that we were to take her at her word. This is a grey area with my association and I'm wondering how others would handle the appearance of tape covered ears on the field.

I ask this now because I have a game comming up where one player has the sore ear answer every game but I know from parents that the earings are still in.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Rule 3-2 Art. 12 states Players in the game are prohibited from wearing jewelry such as rings, watches, earrings, bracelets, necklaces (including cloth or string types), barrettes or other cosmetic or decorative items that are hard. .........

I know here, even for us ole Country Folk, that's pretty plain. If she's on my field she just ain't gonna wear no aforementioned jewelry. She can, if she stays in the dugout. Just not on the field. Anyone wants to raise a squawk about that, they can just sit in the dugout with the player. That's a safety issue and I'm not gonna mess with that at all.

I tried to look up your profile to see where ya live, and what state. It looks like Mick is holding that info close to the vest anymore. What State do you call Fed in?
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

Rick wrote:

I tried to look up your profile to see where ya live, and what state. It looks like Mick is holding that info close to the vest anymore. What State do you call Fed in?

Rick,

Hit his profile under his name at end of post...Central Maryland...
and he is a teacher.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Rick,

Hit his profile under his name at end of post...Central Maryland...
and he is a teacher.

Ahhhh, OK. I tried to look it up under the members button. What was I possibly thinking? Just goes to show, don't give high falutin' equipment to country folk. We can mess it up every time.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

TexBlue (and others),

It's not that I don't know the rule. My question deals with someone who has a bandaid on her ear (or anywhere for that matter) and says it's covering a sore even though it quite possibly is covering jewelry. Without being too graphic, I'm not going to ask players to undress so I can inspect various other areas that young people like to get pierced these days. All I'm saying is my local association has implied that there was something invasive about asking a player to remove a bandage. I'm wondering what others would do in this situation, according to their local instruction.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

LJ, I was pretty sure you already knew the rule. It's just that if the rule is that black and white, it's hard to ignore. It seems like you leave yourself open to lawsuits from the crazies in the world. ASA says they can't wear jewelry if in the umpire's judgement it's dangerous. (You probably noticed that's not verbatim) I know PONY is the same way. FED says absolutely not. If you let a player wear ear studs, the ball hits her in the ear and causes major damage, who's the first person the lawyers look for? Not to mention, I'd feel bad for letting a girl get hurt and I coulda prevented it.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

LJ,

Here is what I do. At pre-game, always ask the normal "Are players properly equipped and attired?" You will always recieve a yes. If bandaged ears (or any other non allowed items) are then noticed, ask coach is this player wearing these to hide ear piercings? and coach, if you tell me no, you are assuming all liability for injuries to this player. The coach will take care of the matter, and you won't have to remove anything. I have never had a HS coach try and circumvent safety rulings such as this in either boy's or girl's ball. Their reputations, and careers are on the line. They are busy though and may not notice a player trying to sneak something by.

Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 04:08am
Official Forum Member

I haven't seen anyone with band aids on their ears this year. It used to happen all the time last year, Maybe the coaches are making sure the girls take the jewerly off now.
I have had to tell a couple of coaches during the game to make sure little suzie takes her ear rings off. They have no problem getting them to remove them. Usually the coaches aren't real happy with the player when I mention it to them.
NIF
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down No Jewelry if I can see it

The jewelry issue seems to give more problems than anything at times.
Around here, I ask the proper questions of the coach.
If I see jewelry before the game, get rid of it. If I see it during the game, I make them burn a substitution. Kinda makes me a hard a$$ but the coaches know that I will stand firm so they make the girls get rid of it first.
If I see tape..........I am going to ask the girl directly and if she says it is just sore, I tell them to lightly squeeze the tape to show there is nothing underneath.
I do all of this while giving some graphic horror story of an incident involving jewelry (made up of course).
It usually scares them into taking it out without me needing to do anything about it.
I have seen some very ugly incidents with jewelry, I don't permit it.
Rarely does a coach buck up about jewelry but when they do, I simply ask them to come talk to the other coach with me. When we get together, I ask the opposign coach which rule he/she wants ignored for today's game as the first coach wants me to ignore the jewelry rule.
I think it is fair to allow the opposing coach to chose the rule they want ignored.....balance you know.

Have fun out there
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 11:33am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy
Speaking Fed. I was wondering how your local associations handle the jewelry issue? This year it was barely mentioned but in the past the question was raised about what to do when you see tape/bandaids on an ear. We were told that we could not ask to see under the tape anymore than we could ask a girl to raise her shirt to see if she had a naval piercing. In other words, if the player said her "ears were sore" because she had to take out studs (yes, I heard this explanation last year) that we were to take her at her word. This is a grey area with my association and I'm wondering how others would handle the appearance of tape covered ears on the field.

I ask this now because I have a game comming up where one player has the sore ear answer every game but I know from parents that the earings are still in.

The NFHS jewelry rule is a uniform one for all of the sports for which it publishes rules. Can you ask to see under the band aid on the player's ear, eye brow, or nose? Yes you can. Should you ask to see under the band aid on the player's ear, eye brow, or nose? Yes you should. It is call due diligence. A band aid over an ear, eye brow, or nose is a red flag that tells every sports official that this player could be hiding jewelry. To ignore such an obvious situation would be considered negligence on the part of the official. Asking to see under the band aid is not analogous to asking to look under a players shirt to check for a navel piercing.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
LJ,

Here is what I do. At pre-game, always ask the normal "Are players properly equipped and attired?" You will always recieve a yes. If bandaged ears (or any other non allowed items) are then noticed, ask coach is this player wearing these to hide ear piercings? and coach, if you tell me no, you are assuming all liability for injuries to this player. The coach will take care of the matter, and you won't have to remove anything. I have never had a HS coach try and circumvent safety rulings such as this in either boy's or girl's ball. Their reputations, and careers are on the line. They are busy though and may not notice a player trying to sneak something by.

That is generally how I handle it, too. I won't ask players to remove bandages; instead, I'll ask the coach to certify his players are not using bandages to hide jewelry.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Copied from over there:

It is a question of visibility. The tongue stud and navel rings are not visible under normal circumstances, but tape on the ear or finger is. If the player sticks out her tongue or lifts the shirt for some other reason and I see the jewelry; then she is told that jewelry is not permitted.

If there is visible tape, then I will tell the player or coach that jewelry is not permitted even if covered by tape, glove, headband, etc. Asking if it is jewelry is not the same as asking for the tape to be removed or looking under the tape.

A medical or religious medal with its chain, string or whatever is an entity, permissible as long as the entire length is taped to the body. Medical ones "may" have the symbol exposed by rule and by common sense, it should be visible and never ask for it to be covered.

Also, be careful about telling a player they have to remove jewelry or whatever, as opposed to telling them they can't play with it on.

What about student base coaches?
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

OK, I will plead ignorance but I just don't get how small studs in an ear lobe can be such a safety issue, or, for that matter, a very small nose stud, as stupid as they may be.
I understand bracelets and necklaces that can get tangled up or caught by a finger, etc. I know the rule specifically mentions earings. My guess is that larger, hoop type earrings were the original focus, which can be dangerous.
The ironclad rule by Fed seems unnecessary and the "judged to pose a safety risk" (not verbatim) makes more sense.
I hate all the piercings going on today but an uncomprising ban on all jewelry seems to be stretching the safety question beyond resonable limits.
I also realize rules are rules and must be enforced.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
Even the small studs can have the points (or whatever they are called) sticking out the back and I am sure they hurt, or worse, if rammed into the skull.

Besides it saves on arguments is it a small ENOUGH stud to be left in.

Here for softball (Adult) if the player arrives at the plate with a bandaged ear we are to ask then directly "Is that bandage covering jewellery?" If they say Yes then they are out and told to take it off if they wish to stay in the game. Next time they are ejected.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the opinions. One thing I try to remember (but often forget) is that Fed ball is generally an extension of the school day, with all of the rules and regulations that go along with it. I guess asking to see under a bandaid is really no different than asking a student to open their hand if you think they have a spitball. Parden the analogy, but it's been a long teaching (the regular job) day.