The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

I had a game on Saturday where there was a girl on second. I was BU. Ball hit to the SS, runner on second going to third, and stopped just before the SS as she fielded the ball. SS bobbled the ball, and pushed it towards the runner. Runner made kind of a circle back to second and around the SS to avoid her and head to third. I saw no contact with the fielder or runner.In my judgment, the runner did everything she could to avoid the fielder, as the fielder bobbled the ball into the runner. Coach wanted interference. I made no call. Anyone out there whould have called that interference and why???

By the way, this was a NCAA game

[Edited by Del-Blue on Apr 12th, 2004 at 02:18 PM]
NIF
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

The way you described it, I would not have called interference.

However, I've seen umps (not at NCAA level) call interference if the fielder was at all disturbed by the runner's presence. Of course, I've seen practically everything called at one time or another!
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Sounds like a good non-call. Unless the SS bobbled the ball because of the closeness of the runner? If it was just a fielding bobble, good decision.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

I'm also a no call. Sounds like SS may have taken her eyes off the ball for a second, or lost concentration. Loss of concentration does not equal interference in my opinion.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 02:47pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Del-Blue
I had a game on Saturday where there was a girl on second. I was BU. Ball hit to the SS, runner on second going to third, and stopped just before the SS as she fielded the ball. SS bobbled the ball, and pushed it towards the runner. Runner made kind of a circle back to second and around the SS to avoid her and head to third. I saw no contact with the fielder or runner.In my judgment, the runner did everything she could to avoid the fielder, as the fielder bobbled the ball into the runner. Coach wanted interference. I made no call. Anyone out there whould have called that interference and why???

By the way, this was a NCAA game

Del-Blue,
After the fielder initially touched the ball, the ball is merely loose. The circling by the baserunner was not required.
If the base runner does nothing intentionally to interfere with the fielder, or the ball, then there is no penalty for that runner on that fielder.

Note to 12-7-g : 1.) If a ball richochets off one defensive player and another player has the opportunity to make a play, the runner will be ruled out if she interferes with the second fielder.

mick

Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

No interference, not in college ball - maybe in some younger levels, but definitely not in college ball.
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

No interference, not in college ball - maybe in some younger levels, but definitely not in college ball.

I wouldnt have called it as described at the younger levels as described.. in fact I think less so.. the lower you go.. the less you might suspect intentional interference.... at the higher levels you are safer to assume Intent, as they are expected to know.

As we are not mind readers.. we must base intent on what we see and the skill level of the players involved.. the lower you go, the harder it is to know if it was intentional... whereas at the top levels... you can just assume whatever they do is by intent... they've been playing for some time and know the rules.

Agree or disagree?

Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 04:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem

I wouldnt have called it as described at the younger levels as described.. in fact I think less so.. the lower you go.. the less you might suspect intentional interference.... at the higher levels you are safer to assume Intent, as they are expected to know.

As we are not mind readers.. we must base intent on what we see and the skill level of the players involved.. the lower you go, the harder it is to know if it was intentional... whereas at the top levels... you can just assume whatever they do is by intent... they've been playing for some time and know the rules.

Agree or disagree?

wadeintothem,
I'm not gonna disagree.
But, I am not going to think about it.
I think I'll just judge the moment, the play at hand.
When I think to much, my hat falls off.
mick

Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

Good Call.
Old Tue Apr 13, 2004, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Thanks Guys,

Pretty much the same thinking as everyone mentioned, just looking for a little confirmation. Always nice to have agreement with everyone.
NIF