View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 12, 2004, 02:47pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Del-Blue
I had a game on Saturday where there was a girl on second. I was BU. Ball hit to the SS, runner on second going to third, and stopped just before the SS as she fielded the ball. SS bobbled the ball, and pushed it towards the runner. Runner made kind of a circle back to second and around the SS to avoid her and head to third. I saw no contact with the fielder or runner.In my judgment, the runner did everything she could to avoid the fielder, as the fielder bobbled the ball into the runner. Coach wanted interference. I made no call. Anyone out there whould have called that interference and why???

By the way, this was a NCAA game

Del-Blue,
After the fielder initially touched the ball, the ball is merely loose. The circling by the baserunner was not required.
If the base runner does nothing intentionally to interfere with the fielder, or the ball, then there is no penalty for that runner on that fielder.

Note to 12-7-g : 1.) If a ball richochets off one defensive player and another player has the opportunity to make a play, the runner will be ruled out if she interferes with the second fielder.

mick