The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Had the pleasure of working a solid ball game tonight. Both teams are trying to build solid programs, or rebuild a program. Average pitching both ways, threw strikes, etc. Ended up being a 6-5 game, won in the bottom of the seventh.

But that's not the best part. I heard something come out of a fans mouth that I've never heard before...or hope to hear again.

As my partner and I are changing (we work about 20 games a year together) a fan of the losing team walks up to us and tell us that we suck. I politely said I was sorry he feels that way. He insulted us again, and added that we don't deserve to umpire, that we sucked still. Again, my apology for his feeling. Then he calls us pieces of #($*. I say, excuse me sir? Then he says we really sucked and cost his team the game. (Remembering that in this state everyone qualifies for the state tournament, so in reality, the regular season is all practice of sorts). He walks to his car, gets in, pulls out of the parking spot, and starts to leave, but I guess felt it necessary to roll down his window and stop behind us. He then crosses the line and says, "If you ever work at our field there will be a surprise waiting for you there."

Is that a threat to you?

And what should I do in this situation? I mean, I felt I called a pretty good game (on the plate). My partner was flawless on his close calls on the bases. My zone was a little tight, but even the head coach (who doesn't like umpires) said I was consistent. Just food for thought.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 04:02am
Official Forum Member

Responding that way to that A-hole was a mistake. When he stopped & spouted that off, a better way would have been to say something like "You need to move along, what you're doing is illegal. And then turn away, slightly so that if the SOB does anything physical you'll see him coming.

That being said, note his license plate and turn him in to both schools and the local police. Yes, that was a threat. I'd be speaking to my assignors telling them to change whatever they needed to change so that I had the very next game at that school.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Steve,

Like your answer. I too would want that rematch.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Responding that way to that A-hole was a mistake. When he stopped & spouted that off, a better way would have been to say something like "You need to move along, what you're doing is illegal. And then turn away, slightly so that if the SOB does anything physical you'll see him coming.

That being said, note his license plate and turn him in to both schools and the local police. Yes, that was a threat. I'd be speaking to my assignors telling them to change whatever they needed to change so that I had the very next game at that school.
My job trains us to respond to situations like this in the manner I did. My officials association asks us to do the same. Both view "you need to move along..." as looking for confrontation. That being said, I agree with you.

I'm a very patient man. I know that people like to run their mouths, and I know (as we've discussed before) that my size intimates people. But this was ridiculous.

And I do have them two more times this year.

Funny how I was a great umpire when the team was winning 5-1 in the bottom of the sixth...then it all changed.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FUBLUE
Funny how I was a great umpire when the team was winning 5-1 in the bottom of the sixth...then it all changed.
That's the way it always is!

I agree with the others that this incident should certainly be reported to the authorities.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 08:32pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Be sure to make a written report of
everything you can recall.
You also need to report it to any person in authority
for the leagues and games.
I hope someone else heard all of this in case
it ends up in court.
Officials must be free of such intimidation.
It is sad that some "fans" go over the edge.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
I agree with everyone else. Don't even hesitate to call the AD's of both schools and make the report with the police. Even if you don't have a license plate, give color, make etc.

I'm not sure I'd go ask for the next game at that school, but I darned sure would do everything possible to be there if I was scheduled. Don't go looking for trouble, it'll find you quick enough. If this guy wants to make a scene, let him. If you do go back to this school, 1st thing you do when you find the AD, is let him know about this situation again and ask for authorities to be around until you leave the parking lot.

I know some of the school districts down here will place the girl off the team if a parent or family member does something like this. Others give it token attention and forget it.

Anyway, don't avoid it, just don't push it.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

To answer the question on if anyone heard it, yes...my partner heard it, as well as the entire visiting team (which the guy had a daughter on). That's the thing, say what you want to say to me, just don't say it infront of the kids, especially your own daughter. She was WAY embarassed. I think she said, "dad shut up and drive away."

I'm not looking for trouble, it will find us. I just can't believe the guy said it.

As for placing the girl off the team, I disagree with any school that does that. IT's not the kid who did it. Why punish the kid for a parents comment? Let the kid play, but ban the parent from going to games.

I will call the AD, but I'm not sure about the authorities. I'll have to wait to see what AD says about the situation.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... but I'm not sure about the authorities. I'll have to wait to see what AD says about the situation.
I strongly advise you to go to the authorities today. Now.

Most people (not saying you're one) do not understand "assault" as a matter of law.

assault and battery
n. the combination of the two crimes of threat (assault) and actual beating (battery). They are both also intentional civil wrongs for which the party attacked may file a suit for damages.

assault
1) v. the threat or attempt to strike another, whether successful or not, provided the target is aware of the danger. The assaulter must be reasonably capable of carrying through the attack. In some states if the assault is with a deadly weapon (such as sniping with a rifle), the intended victim does not need to know of the peril. Other state laws distinguish between different degrees (first or second) of assault depending on whether there is actual hitting, injury or just a threat. "Aggravated assault" is an attack connected with the commission of another crime, such as beating a clerk during a robbery or a particularly vicious attack. 2) n. the act of committing an assault, as in "there was an assault down on Third Avenue." Assault is both a criminal wrong, for which one may be charged and tried, and civil wrong for which the target may sue for damages due to the assault, including for mental distress.

Law.com dictionary

The threat itself is a violation of the law. Get the complain on the record. Now.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 08:29am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
... but I'm not sure about the authorities. I'll have to wait to see what AD says about the situation.
I strongly advise you to go to the authorities today. Now.

Most people (not saying you're one) do not understand "assault" as a matter of law.

assault and battery
n. the combination of the two crimes of threat (assault) and actual beating (battery). They are both also intentional civil wrongs for which the party attacked may file a suit for damages.

assault
1) v. the threat or attempt to strike another, whether successful or not, provided the target is aware of the danger. The assaulter must be reasonably capable of carrying through the attack. In some states if the assault is with a deadly weapon (such as sniping with a rifle), the intended victim does not need to know of the peril. Other state laws distinguish between different degrees (first or second) of assault depending on whether there is actual hitting, injury or just a threat. "Aggravated assault" is an attack connected with the commission of another crime, such as beating a clerk during a robbery or a particularly vicious attack. 2) n. the act of committing an assault, as in "there was an assault down on Third Avenue." Assault is both a criminal wrong, for which one may be charged and tried, and civil wrong for which the target may sue for damages due to the assault, including for mental distress.

Law.com dictionary

The threat itself is a violation of the law. Get the complain on the record. Now.
Interesting.
Thanks, Dakota.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I will call the AD, but I'm not sure about the authorities. I'll have to wait to see what AD says about the situation.
You gain nothing by doing this. What you are doing is by not reporting to the authorities as soon as it happened is setting up yet another sport official to go through the same thing you went through. This guy is a menace. He will continue to act a menace until people start reporting his actions to the police on a regular basis.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Wow, I didn't know that many people I respect (even though I don't know you all, I do respect you as umpires) think I should file a complaint.

I have gone one step further, I contacted the state association to let them know of the situation. In the past, there has been some banning of parents from games.

Still debating on filing a complaint with the authorities. There are other reasons I delay on calling the authorities.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
I don't know what your other reasons are, so I can't weigh them against mine. As an umpire who has been physically attacked by a "parent"*, I agree with a police report and would not hestitate if it happened again. If you wait, the police will think you really don't care much and they might not either. Other parents later told me he was a constant aggravation and had threatened others.

* if you define "parent" biologically
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
... snip ...
I'm not sure I'd go ask for the next game at that school, but I darned sure would do everything possible to be there if I was scheduled. Don't go looking for trouble, it'll find you quick enough. ... snip ...
... snip ...
Anyway, don't avoid it, just don't push it.
Just so the inmates don't end up running the asylum.