View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Responding that way to that A-hole was a mistake. When he stopped & spouted that off, a better way would have been to say something like "You need to move along, what you're doing is illegal. And then turn away, slightly so that if the SOB does anything physical you'll see him coming.

That being said, note his license plate and turn him in to both schools and the local police. Yes, that was a threat. I'd be speaking to my assignors telling them to change whatever they needed to change so that I had the very next game at that school.
My job trains us to respond to situations like this in the manner I did. My officials association asks us to do the same. Both view "you need to move along..." as looking for confrontation. That being said, I agree with you.

I'm a very patient man. I know that people like to run their mouths, and I know (as we've discussed before) that my size intimates people. But this was ridiculous.

And I do have them two more times this year.

Funny how I was a great umpire when the team was winning 5-1 in the bottom of the sixth...then it all changed.