The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue Apr 06, 2004, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Had the pleasure of working a solid ball game tonight. Both teams are trying to build solid programs, or rebuild a program. Average pitching both ways, threw strikes, etc. Ended up being a 6-5 game, won in the bottom of the seventh.

But that's not the best part. I heard something come out of a fans mouth that I've never heard before...or hope to hear again.

As my partner and I are changing (we work about 20 games a year together) a fan of the losing team walks up to us and tell us that we suck. I politely said I was sorry he feels that way. He insulted us again, and added that we don't deserve to umpire, that we sucked still. Again, my apology for his feeling. Then he calls us pieces of #($*. I say, excuse me sir? Then he says we really sucked and cost his team the game. (Remembering that in this state everyone qualifies for the state tournament, so in reality, the regular season is all practice of sorts). He walks to his car, gets in, pulls out of the parking spot, and starts to leave, but I guess felt it necessary to roll down his window and stop behind us. He then crosses the line and says, "If you ever work at our field there will be a surprise waiting for you there."

Is that a threat to you?

And what should I do in this situation? I mean, I felt I called a pretty good game (on the plate). My partner was flawless on his close calls on the bases. My zone was a little tight, but even the head coach (who doesn't like umpires) said I was consistent. Just food for thought.