The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

I was wondering. Does anyone ever think twice about simply stopping by to watch a local game as a spectator on your days off? Granted, there aren't many free days once things really kick in but sometimes I just want to WATCH a game. Case in point. Today was a beautiful early spring day with me not working. Local high school JV scrimmage going on. I've got friends with girls on one team and I'm curious what they look like. But I hesitate. These two teams are ones I quite likely will see as an ump this season. Coaches know me. Is it kosher to hang with my friends and watch their kids for an afternoon or does the fact that I will soon be their working( and, of course, impartial) umpire keep me from just enjoying myself?

I know this happens to all of us and to be honest I've never given it much of a thought before. But today for some reason I wanted to be sure I was projecting the "right" image off the field too. Any thoughts?
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Elaine Send a message via Yahoo to Elaine
Talking

I don't see a problem as long as you don't comment on the umpires' performance or offer any "umpire like" opinions!
Have fun!

Georgia High School NFHS (retired)
Mom of former Travel Player
National Indicator Fraternity 1995
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Heck, I've already gone to several games just to watch or to work with one of the newer guys on mechanics. (They were off the field also and just wanted input on how and why to do things ) Nothing wrong with going to a game. After all, "game" kinda makes it sound like it should be fun, doesn't it? Have some fun!!!
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Coming back from an early game tonight, my partner and I were passing through a little north Texas town and noticed the ballfield lights on. We decided to drop in for a few, since it is one of the schools our association calls. (Actually turned out to be two schools our association calls.) We just watched for a few minutes, said our hellos and goodbyes, and were off again.

No problem at all.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

The Mrs and I do as Skahtboi, anytime we see ballfield lights on while traveling we stop if we can. This weekend here in town part of the NFPCA Lead Off Classic is in town, we are gonna try and see as much as we can. Our UIC and his wife got the two spots available for our association, as well as a lady we met at last ASA clinic we attended. We just enjoy ball, and try and learn by watching as well as calling. There is nothing unethical about being a spectator. Go, watch, enjoy!
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy
I was wondering. Does anyone ever think twice about simply stopping by to watch a local game as a spectator on your days off? Granted, there aren't many free days once things really kick in but sometimes I just want to WATCH a game. Case in point. Today was a beautiful early spring day with me not working. Local high school JV scrimmage going on. I've got friends with girls on one team and I'm curious what they look like. But I hesitate. These two teams are ones I quite likely will see as an ump this season. Coaches know me. Is it kosher to hang with my friends and watch their kids for an afternoon or does the fact that I will soon be their working( and, of course, impartial) umpire keep me from just enjoying myself?

I know this happens to all of us and to be honest I've never given it much of a thought before. But today for some reason I wanted to be sure I was projecting the "right" image off the field too. Any thoughts?
Some places are so small, everyone knows the next guy whether they are involved with a team or umpire. It is not unusual for umpires to watch others work. But I always keep my distance and access to an escape route. Most people know who I am, and when they feel slighted by the umpire on the field, they are usually coming after me. Don't know why, because I'm certainly not going to change anything.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

I watch a lot of games when I'm not working myself.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

I enjoy watching games, and I enjoy watching other umpires work, especially those that are better than I am.

Some guidelines:
1. Make absolutely no comments about calls, mechanics, umpire performance or ability.
2. Be out of uniform to the extent possible. If at a tournament, at least change shirts and don't wear your official hat.
3. If anyone (fan, coach, player) recognizes you and tries to get you involved in a call or discussion, state clearly and (if the umpire on the field knows who you are) loudly enough for the umpire to hear "Not my game, coach (or whoever)."

I will even go so far as to move from one "side" to the other in the stands if people know I am an umpire so people won't associate me with one of the teams.

ALL of this goes completely out the window, BTW, when my DD is playing! (JK - maybe)
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
ALL of this goes completely out the window, BTW, when my DD is playing! (JK - maybe)
Which brings up a good point. Everyone on my DDs team knows I am an ump and it was funny when one parent with whom I coached with for years before I became an ump ripped into me big time when they asked me "What did you think of that call?" and my response was "That is what he called therefore that is what it is" She told everyone I had "turned" and she could not believe that those words came out of my mouth
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Mike, I have the same problem. I have been in Rec related activities for over 20 years, so no matter where I go these parents or coaches want me to get involved in disputes or what they deem bad calls.
So now I just don't watch anymore.
Plus..what the heck is a night off. In Maryland May 1 to July 4th if you are an umpire your life is over.
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

As a known umpire, school teacher, coach, and parent of players, I get asked all the time about certain rules in games I did not umpire. My response is usually the same: "I wasn't there, so I can't commment on it."
Old Fri Mar 12, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chuck chopper
In Maryland May 1 to July 4th if you are an umpire your life is over.
Heck, come on down to Texas. The dates then extend from about January 1 to December 15.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
Quote:
Originally posted by JEL
The Mrs and I do as Skahtboi, anytime we see ballfield lights on while traveling we stop if we can. This weekend here in town part of the NFPCA Lead Off Classic is in town, we are gonna try and see as much as we can. Our UIC and his wife got the two spots available for our association, as well as a lady we met at last ASA clinic we attended. We just enjoy ball, and try and learn by watching as well as calling. There is nothing unethical about being a spectator. Go, watch, enjoy!

Hey Jel,

Was that Lady short with short hair? The one with full face mask headgear?

plus where are you at on the Class Picture?
Old Tue Mar 16, 2004, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, it was Michelle. Didn't get to watch her any, but saw plenty others. Lots of good umpires, both male and female. Kinard Latham was UIC he was also at the clinic. In picture I am 4th from left on back row. My wife is directly in front of Jim Craig. To my left is our UIC, and in front of me is his wife.

PS, I aint gonna call a lady short, or fat, or.....
Old Wed Mar 17, 2004, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to buddha69
That's cool. Yeah I ask where she was this weekend, we had a senior (masters) tourney and a Mens out here also this past weekend. I did not get a chance to call, cause I had my kids to look after, but I did take them to the park so they can play and for me to watch the vets out there do there job. As for short I did not mean it in that way. LOL

I am the one in the third row on the left with the glasses and bald head brown guy, ha ha LOL

Have a good season this year and see you next years clinic.

Buddha