View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 11, 2004, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Jimmy
I was wondering. Does anyone ever think twice about simply stopping by to watch a local game as a spectator on your days off? Granted, there aren't many free days once things really kick in but sometimes I just want to WATCH a game. Case in point. Today was a beautiful early spring day with me not working. Local high school JV scrimmage going on. I've got friends with girls on one team and I'm curious what they look like. But I hesitate. These two teams are ones I quite likely will see as an ump this season. Coaches know me. Is it kosher to hang with my friends and watch their kids for an afternoon or does the fact that I will soon be their working( and, of course, impartial) umpire keep me from just enjoying myself?

I know this happens to all of us and to be honest I've never given it much of a thought before. But today for some reason I wanted to be sure I was projecting the "right" image off the field too. Any thoughts?
Some places are so small, everyone knows the next guy whether they are involved with a team or umpire. It is not unusual for umpires to watch others work. But I always keep my distance and access to an escape route. Most people know who I am, and when they feel slighted by the umpire on the field, they are usually coming after me. Don't know why, because I'm certainly not going to change anything.