The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

ASA has redesigned their web site and their logo.

The are also launching a TV show on Fox.
Softball 360

Sounds like a renewed marketing effort. I hope it pays off in more teams, players, etc.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
The Softball 360 show sounds like it could be interesting. I just hope they get someone knowledgable for the Hey Blue segment and not someone like Timmy Mac or Joe.

SamC
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Thumbs down

Sounds like another artificial reason to force us to buy more unneeded uniforms and othermerchandise.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Sounds like another artificial reason to force us to buy more unneeded uniforms and othermerchandise.
Actually, I wondered about that, too, especially with the spokesperson's comment something like "umpires can't wait to sport the new logo on the field" or some such, so I checked ASA's officialgear.com web site - the new logo is nowhere to be found. So, I guess we're off the hook for now, anyway.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2004, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Actually, I wondered about that, too, especially with the spokesperson's comment something like "umpires can't wait to sport the new logo on the field" or some such, so I checked ASA's officialgear.com web site - the new logo is nowhere to be found. So, I guess we're off the hook for now, anyway.
There is no uniform changes.

Once again people jumping to conclusions to the negative side.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
I agree it was a conclusion, but it was not jumped to ... more like nudged to. Here is the quote from the ASA press release...
Quote:
ASA introduces new contemporary Brand Identity for the ASA
2/9/2004

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – Players and umpires can’t wait to take the field this spring and proudly sport the Amateur Softball Association’s new brand identity. The mark was recently developed by SME, a New York City agency renowned for its sports branding work.
That certainly sounds like they expect us to wear the new logo somewhere on our person. Not exactly a jump to feel the need to check out the officialgear page.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
I agree it was a conclusion, but it was not jumped to ... more like nudged to. Here is the quote from the ASA press release...
Quote:
ASA introduces new contemporary Brand Identity for the ASA
2/9/2004

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – Players and umpires can’t wait to take the field this spring and proudly sport the Amateur Softball Association’s new brand identity. The mark was recently developed by SME, a New York City agency renowned for its sports branding work.
That certainly sounds like they expect us to wear the new logo somewhere on our person. Not exactly a jump to feel the need to check out the officialgear page.
Umpire's haven't worn the ASA logo for a few years now. The last place from which it disappeared was the ball bag and now that's gone.

The move to the new logo may just be a political ploy to save ASA from an irreversable change to USA Softball.

Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Red face

I apologize for any negativity as it appears I was wrong; but you know that unnecessary uniform/accessory replacement or redunancy is a pet peeve of mine. My concern was all those "ASA letters" we wear being replaced by a logo. Bad enough that I have to buy new caps for CP, just for the inappropriate flag requirement.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bad enough that I have to buy new caps for CP, just for the inappropriate flag requirement.
I agree with the sentiment, but with me and hats, after a couple of years the white letters take on a permanent blend of yellow and blue (sweat stains that refuse to completely come out plus bleed over from the navy blue hat), so I replace them anyway, with the old hats relegated to rec league games in a somewhat miserly attempt to extend the life of my "good" hats. My objection to the flag is, as you infer, it (the hat) is a disrespectful place to display it.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I've never had a problem with the hats (other than goofy sizes). You didn't need to buy a new hat as the flag were sold separately and easily applied.

Yes, I have a load of hats (wool), but I just throw them in the washer with the rest of my uniform. When done, take them out and block them. They last about two-three years of full wear.

Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Since this thread has morphed into a laundry discussion...

OK, I admit, I don't "quite" get around to promptly laundering my hats right after I get home. I tend to collect 2 or 3 changes of uniforms before I launder them. So, my hats do start to gather faint stains after a year or 2 that never become TOO obvious, but I notice them, so I don't wear those hats anymore for tournament use.

But, I haven't figured out a way to keep the blue from bleeding over onto the white letters. And that happens with the first wash. I've tried color-fast detergent, cold water, whatever - the letters always pick up a blue tint.

Once the hat has been washed a few times, and blue dye is no longer further tinting the letters, I wash them in the dishwasher. The DW detergent seems to do a better job with stains, and the "no touch" washing seems to be easier on the hats.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 11:32pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I have good luck using a cap washing frame (can get these at sporting good stores) and cold water with low to medium level water and a cup of detergent. Best thing is to wash the cap by itself. Cleans it right up.
Old Wed Feb 11, 2004, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Try washing them in a cap caddy in the dish washer
on the top shelve....Use warm water and light on
the soap....works well...
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Try washing them in a cap caddy in the dish washer
on the top shelve....Use warm water and light on
the soap....works well...
What kind of soap? Where can I get a cap caddy?

Thanks, Stan
Old Thu Feb 12, 2004, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
What kind of soap? Where can I get a cap caddy?

Thanks, Stan
Local Wallyworld or K-Mart, and many places that sell umpire gear have the cap caddies. I use regular laundry detergent in the washing machine, though the people I know who do them in a dishwasher use the dishwasher detergents!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.