The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   ASA's new look (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/12195-asas-new-look.html)

Dakota Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:36am

ASA has redesigned their web site and their logo.

http://www.softball.org/images/press...me_ASALogo.jpg

The are also launching a TV show on Fox.
Softball 360

Sounds like a renewed marketing effort. I hope it pays off in more teams, players, etc.

SamNVa Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:50am

The Softball 360 show sounds like it could be interesting. I just hope they get someone knowledgable for the <u>Hey Blue</u> segment and not someone like Timmy Mac or Joe.

SamC

CecilOne Tue Feb 10, 2004 01:06pm

Sounds like another artificial reason to force us to buy more unneeded uniforms and othermerchandise.

Dakota Tue Feb 10, 2004 01:27pm

Quote:

Originally posted by CecilOne
Sounds like another artificial reason to force us to buy more unneeded uniforms and othermerchandise.
Actually, I wondered about that, too, especially with the spokesperson's comment something like "umpires can't wait to sport the new logo on the field" or some such, so I checked ASA's officialgear.com web site - the new logo is nowhere to be found. So, I guess we're off the hook for now, anyway.

IRISHMAFIA Tue Feb 10, 2004 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:

Actually, I wondered about that, too, especially with the spokesperson's comment something like "umpires can't wait to sport the new logo on the field" or some such, so I checked ASA's officialgear.com web site - the new logo is nowhere to be found. So, I guess we're off the hook for now, anyway.

There is no uniform changes.

Once again people jumping to conclusions to the negative side.

Dakota Wed Feb 11, 2004 01:16am

Quote:

Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
I agree it was a conclusion, but it was not jumped to ... more like nudged to. Here is the quote from the ASA press release...
Quote:

ASA introduces new contemporary Brand Identity for the ASA
2/9/2004

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – Players and umpires can’t wait to take the field this spring and proudly sport the Amateur Softball Association’s new brand identity. The mark was recently developed by SME, a New York City agency renowned for its sports branding work.
That certainly sounds like they expect us to wear the new logo somewhere on our person. Not exactly a jump to feel the need to check out the officialgear page.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Feb 11, 2004 09:09am

Quote:

Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:

Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
I agree it was a conclusion, but it was not jumped to ... more like nudged to. Here is the quote from the ASA press release...
Quote:

ASA introduces new contemporary Brand Identity for the ASA
2/9/2004

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – Players and umpires can’t wait to take the field this spring and proudly sport the Amateur Softball Association’s new brand identity. The mark was recently developed by SME, a New York City agency renowned for its sports branding work.
That certainly sounds like they expect us to wear the new logo somewhere on our person. Not exactly a jump to feel the need to check out the officialgear page.

Umpire's haven't worn the ASA logo for a few years now. The last place from which it disappeared was the ball bag and now that's gone.

The move to the new logo may just be a political ploy to save ASA from an irreversable change to USA Softball.

CecilOne Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:25pm

I apologize for any negativity as it appears I was wrong; but you know that unnecessary uniform/accessory replacement or redunancy is a pet peeve of mine. My concern was all those "ASA letters" we wear being replaced by a logo. Bad enough that I have to buy new caps for CP, just for the inappropriate flag requirement.

Dakota Wed Feb 11, 2004 02:09pm

Quote:

Bad enough that I have to buy new caps for CP, just for the inappropriate flag requirement.
I agree with the sentiment, but with me and hats, after a couple of years the white letters take on a permanent blend of yellow and blue (sweat stains that refuse to completely come out plus bleed over from the navy blue hat), so I replace them anyway, with the old hats relegated to rec league games in a somewhat miserly attempt to extend the life of my "good" hats. My objection to the flag is, as you infer, it (the hat) is a disrespectful place to display it.

IRISHMAFIA Wed Feb 11, 2004 04:58pm

I've never had a problem with the hats (other than goofy sizes). You didn't need to buy a new hat as the flag were sold separately and easily applied.

Yes, I have a load of hats (wool), but I just throw them in the washer with the rest of my uniform. When done, take them out and block them. They last about two-three years of full wear.

Dakota Wed Feb 11, 2004 05:10pm

Since this thread has morphed into a laundry discussion...

OK, I admit, I don't "quite" get around to promptly laundering my hats right after I get home. I tend to collect 2 or 3 changes of uniforms before I launder them. So, my hats do start to gather faint stains after a year or 2 that never become TOO obvious, but I notice them, so I don't wear those hats anymore for tournament use.

But, I haven't figured out a way to keep the blue from bleeding over onto the white letters. And that happens with the first wash. I've tried color-fast detergent, cold water, whatever - the letters always pick up a blue tint.

Once the hat has been washed a few times, and blue dye is no longer further tinting the letters, I wash them in the dishwasher. The DW detergent seems to do a better job with stains, and the "no touch" washing seems to be easier on the hats.

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:32pm

I have good luck using a cap washing frame (can get these at sporting good stores) and cold water with low to medium level water and a cup of detergent. Best thing is to wash the cap by itself. Cleans it right up.

whiskers_ump Wed Feb 11, 2004 11:55pm

Try washing them in a cap caddy in the dish washer
on the top shelve....Use warm water and light on
the soap....works well...

Stan Thu Feb 12, 2004 09:58am

Quote:

Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Try washing them in a cap caddy in the dish washer
on the top shelve....Use warm water and light on
the soap....works well...

What kind of soap? Where can I get a cap caddy?

Thanks, Stan

Skahtboi Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:17am

Quote:

Originally posted by Stan
What kind of soap? Where can I get a cap caddy?

Thanks, Stan

Local Wallyworld or K-Mart, and many places that sell umpire gear have the cap caddies. I use regular laundry detergent in the washing machine, though the people I know who do them in a dishwasher use the dishwasher detergents!