The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 06, 2004, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking ASA.

R1 on 2B, Advances on a batted ball to right field. R1 misses 3B and is obstructed on the way towards home. R1 is then tagged out, when returning to 3B. When the umpire declared a dead ball, the defense then appealed that R3 missed 3B. R1 would not have made it home had the obstruction not occurred. Whice of the following is correct:

a. R1 is out because 3B was missed.

b. R1 is awarded 3B on the obstruction and the appeal for missing 3B is nullified.

c. R1 is not out on the tag, but is called out on the appeal for missing 3B.

d. R1 is awarded home on the obstruction and the appeal for missing 3B is nullified.

Okay, make the call!
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Speaking ASA.

R1 on 2B, Advances on a batted ball to right field. R1 misses 3B and is obstructed on the way towards home. R1 is then tagged out, when returning to 3B. When the umpire declared a dead ball, the defense then appealed that R3 missed 3B. R1 would not have made it home had the obstruction not occurred. Whice of the following is correct:

b. R1 is awarded 3B on the obstruction and the appeal for missing 3B is nullified.

d. R1 is awarded home on the obstruction and the appeal

Okay, make the call!
The obstruction would protect the runner back to third base. I would call the runner out on the missed base appeal, not on the tag.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Okee, Ill attempt this one without my book in front of me so feel free to rip me if I am wrong.
I see the key sentence in this as "when returning to 3B" therefore if in the Umpire's judgement the runner would have made it back to third after realizing the miss had obstruction not occured I would choose: b. R1 is awarded 3B on the obstruction and the appeal for missing 3B is nullified.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

On the obstruction, R1 is not out and is awarded 3rd. On a dead ball appeal, the runner must be given the opportunity to complete base running duties before any appeal will be heard. R1 returns to 3rd on the award. Appeal is moot.

Answer: b.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Runner is awarded third on the obstruction, and after s/he finishes running the bases an appeal can be made, Since s/he is on third, there would be no appeal. "B"
NIF
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

I'll also go with "b." As soon as the runner is tagged out, he is awarded 3B. There aren't really any baserunning duties to complete, except that he has to go to 3B and stand there.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Case book play 8.6-18

I believe this would support answer "C" on this play

JMO

Don
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

You might be right, oppool, but the ruling in your case book play does say, "since he was not obstructed trying to get back to 2B." The implication is that if he was obstructed trying to get back to 2B, as in Mike's play, he would not be called out.
Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Since the administering umpire has deemed that the runner would not have reached home plate safely without the obstruction, I gotta think they would award 3rd base to the runner. Since the runner is now on 3rd base the appeal would be nullified.

I'm going with b. Now the fun begins.

Old Sat Feb 07, 2004, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

Its bgeen awhile since I did ASA but here goes. Runner was obstructed going to home plate, give delay dead ball signal. When obstructed runner is tagged out returning to third umpire should call dead ball and announce the obstruction, award the runner home. If the runner fails to tag third base prior to going home the defense can appeal for the out due to failure to tag third.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

The implication is that if he was obstructed trying to get back to 2B, as in Mike's play, he would not be called out.

I read it wrong. The runner in Mike's play was indeed obstructed going toward home, not while returning to 3B. I'd still go with "b" though.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

I will have to agree with the majority here, and go with B as the correct answer.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Woodchuck
When obstructed runner is tagged out returning to third umpire should call dead ball and announce the obstruction, award the runner home. If the runner fails to tag third base prior to going home the defense can appeal for the out due to failure to tag third.
There is no automatic award of the next base with an obstruction offense. The runner is merely protected between the bases in which the obstruction occurred and to the base that she/he would have made, in the judgement of the umpire, had the obstruction not occurred.

In the case that Mike presented, I believe that the only base she is entitled to is third.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Speaking ASA.

d. R1 is awarded home on the obstruction and the appeal for missing 3B is nullified.

Okay, make the call!
R1 was obstructed on the way toward HP. However, the scenario specifically states that R1 would NOT have scored had the obstruction not occurred.

The moment R1 is tagged out, the umpire declares a dead ball and awards R1 third base.

Since all runners must be given the opportunity to complete all baserunning assignments prior to accepting any appeals, the appeal is basically nullified since the runner is obviously now standing on 3B.

Answer: B

BTW, remember this question.
Old Sun Feb 08, 2004, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Case book play 8.6-18

Quote:
Originally posted by oppool
I believe this would support answer "C" on this play

JMO

Don
Don,

I believe that in 8.6-18 there is no indication the runner actually retouched the missed base, and that may be the difference.