The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I know...this post is completely off topic. However, every year when I get the new ASA book, and I am glancing through the various national position and the "Elite Umpire" section, I keep seeing the name of one of our esteemed board members in there. One Michael T. Rowe of New Castle, DE. (Might be why he likes those adult beverages, living in a town that shares a name with a famous British ale.) Anyhoo, have any of the rest of you wondered just exactly what that "T" stands for???

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Cool The T

On this forum it stands for "T"he Man on the field maybe Tosser. Just a couple guesses

Just having fun

Don
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

A famous British ale, that must be where the T for stands: tea....
BTW, have you ever drunk British ale?
It's bad, water from Russia gives light but has better tast. I like my beer from Germany, Belgium or the south of the Netherlands...
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dutch Alex
BTW, have you ever drunk British ale?
It's bad, water from Russia gives light but has better tast. I like my beer from Germany, Belgium or the south of the Netherlands...
OK - now you've pushed one of my buttons! Yes, I have drunk British ale. It is among the finest ales in the world, IMO.

Don't confuse ales with lagers - the popular German, Belgian, and Dutch beers are lagers. They brew all kinds of "beers" there, of course, but the popular ones tend to be the lagers (which includes pilsners). Either that or bocks.

The best ale in Britian (IMO) is Pedigree Bitter, from the midlands area. I don't mean the bottled, pasturized stuff, but the "real ale" - draft only, available locally only, unpasturized. A great ale.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Tom:

Maybe you need to join us over at http://www.realbeer.com. I, too, am a big fan of real ale, that is, those brewed in the UK. However, I like those brewed by Fullers and Young (The Rams Head Brewery in Wandsworth), and I am also quite partial to Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter. However, my taste in adult beverages is very wide in range indeed, as I also like those from the lager family. (Which include bocks and doppelbocks.)

You ever had a Fuller's ESB, or 1845? How about a Young's Oatmeal Stout, one of the most drinkable beverages on the planet? Then of course, there is Young's Double Chocolate Stout, the adult equivalent to chocolate milk. (Or as one friend once said, dessert in a bottle.)

Anyway...I digress...what about that "T?"

Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Oh...and by the way, you can get "real ale" in cask conditioned and bottle conditioned. And then again, even some real ales are pastuerized.

Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 04:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
This sounds like the conversations out in the parking lot, after the games.
Old Tue Feb 03, 2004, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
This sounds like the conversations out in the parking lot, after the games.
No way! If I ever talked this much in the parking lot, my beer would get WARM!

Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Not telling, eh Mike?!

Okay, time to start guessing. In reality, maybe Mike wants to join those of us on this board who are from the warmer climes, so that he too can call ball all year long. (He just says that about a seasonal game because in snow land he has no options) Therefore, I am guessing that his parents named him "Tex."

Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Not telling, eh Mike?!

Okay, time to start guessing. In reality, maybe Mike wants to join those of us on this board who are from the warmer climes, so that he too can call ball all year long. (He just says that about a seasonal game because in snow land he has no options) Therefore, I am guessing that his parents named him "Tex."
Trust me. You would have to pay me big bucks to even consider moving to Texas. BTW, you don't have that much, so don't waste what gray matter you have left on that one.

I have a life and appreciate the seasons. I would not umpire during football season or skiing (snow) season. I have no desire to officiate any other sport.

Besides, the trip from Tex to Mex is only a river's path away, and I no hablo!

Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA

I would not umpire during football season or skiing (snow) season.
You ski on snow???

Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Oh...and by the way, you can get "real ale" in cask conditioned and bottle conditioned. And then again, even some real ales are pastuerized.
By definition, real ale is unpasteurized, cask conditioned ale. Real ale cannot be pasteurized, since it is a living (bacteria remain live, fermentation continues), fresh ale that completes its secondary fermentation while in the cask, usually in the pub. It is not filtered nor pasteurized, and does not have CO2 or other gas added. It is best consumed within a very short time after the secondary fermentation completes and the beer naturally clarifies.

It is true that certain breweries of real ale will pasteurize and bottle their ale for export (in order to increase its shelf life), but at that point (even though it may continue to carry the brand name of the original real ale) it ceases to be a "real ale."

Mike Rowe.... where have I heard that name recently... Oh yeah... Mike, I heard you settled the dispute with Microsoft for a couple of video games and other compensation. Is that true?
Old Wed Feb 04, 2004, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota

Mike Rowe.... where have I heard that name recently... Oh yeah... Mike, I heard you settled the dispute with Microsoft for a couple of video games and other compensation. Is that true?
You are kidding, but I e-mailed my namesake suggesting that MS take control of his site and take him under their wing. Apparently, I wasn't far off. That other compensation is some great training and access to MS.