The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 08, 2004, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
I was looking at the TASO web site and Walt Sparks was clarifying a rule interpretation/enforcement for NFHS. The situation is runners on 1st and 2nd. The coach calls time and holds a meeting. When they break up, the runners switch places. When it is caught, the enforcement is 2 outs are declared. Ejection of both players and the coach is optional, if you believe it was intentional. I asked for an explanation of this and was told that it is considered unsportsmanlike conduct. Which begged the question, if it's based on the unsportsmanlike conduct rule, why are outs applied and why are the ejections optional?
I have never seen this, or even heard of it happening, I am just a little confused on the thought process that went into the enforcement of the rule, and whether it's even the right rule to use. I could see ejection of the players and/or coach if I absolutely knew it was deliberate. I'm not sure where the outs can be justified.

Rick

[Edited by TexBlue on Jan 8th, 2004 at 10:16 PM]
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
I was looking at the TASO web site and Walt Sparks was clarifying a rule interpretation/enforcement for NFHS. The situation is runners on 1st and 2nd. The coach calls time and holds a meeting. When they break up, the runners switch places. When it is caught, the enforcement is 2 outs are declared. Ejection of both players and the coach is optional, if you believe it was intentional. I asked for an explanation of this and was told that it is considered unsportsmanlike conduct. Which begged the question, if it's based on the unsportsmanlike conduct rule, why are outs applied and why are the ejections optional?
I have never seen this, or even heard of it happening, I am just a little confused on the thought process that went into the enforcement of the rule, and whether it's even the right rule to use. I could see ejection of the players and/or coach if I absolutely knew it was deliberate. I'm not sure where the outs can be justified.

Rick
Looking at the site, it says that the runners are guilty of a baserunning infraction. Looking at the rule book, the only rules that I can think that they are violating are 8-3-1 and 6 which basically state that runners are to touch the bases in order. Plus, there's always that unwritten rule that if you don't know what base you're supposed to be at, you SHOULD be out. I cannot possibly think of any reason why the runners shouldn't know where to go. This smells fishy.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

YAY!!!! 100 posts... oops... 101!!!!
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

I think that the rule was written because some coach or coaches had actually tried to implement the play.

Without the specific rule, you might have one out for one runner passing the other. We also have the rule that puts a batter or runner out for USC (BR throws bat in anger, ball goes over fence, BR still called out; or runner slides safely into 3B but throws an elbow into F5's face: runner out). If each runner has committed USC, they both could be called out.

On the other hand, the rule applies the outs even if the runners switch unintentionally. It would be tough to characterize an unintentional mistake as USC.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Without the specific rule, you might have one out for one runner passing the other. We also have the rule that puts a batter or runner out for USC (BR throws bat in anger, ball goes over fence, BR still called out; or runner slides safely into 3B but throws an elbow into F5's face: runner out). If each runner has committed USC, they both could be called out.

Yeah, I understand the reasoning for calling the outs. I'm not sure why, if you're using the USC the to call the outs, you would not have to eject all three. It kinda sounds like they're waffling on the subject. You shouldn't be able to use the "...passing the lead runner ..." rule because it's a dead ball situation when they "passed" each other.

Rick
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Consider the Fed rules. The ruling makes perfect sense.
Take the offense one step at a time as it happened, just as you would a live ball play. Naturally the offense, as Mike pointed out, hasn't actually happened untill the ball is made live. (It should be killed immediately after being made live if you are aware of the sitch at that point.)

1: The trailling runner is out for passing a preceeding runner (8-6-4)

2: The lead runner is out for abandoning a base (8-6-22) Note that this is apparently different from ASA in that the runner does not have to enter the team area to abandon. Note how the conjunction is used in the sentence to read abandons a base (or) enter the team area.

3: The ejection is under 3-6-15 in which the penalty gives the option of "shall eject... unless the offense is judged to be of a minor nature. ..."

Roger Greene

Edit: All of the cites I gave were from the 2004 book.

[Edited by Roger Greene on Jan 9th, 2004 at 09:17 AM]
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

January 30, 2003

Memo from Walt Sparks, UIC for TASO Softball
Quoting Mr. Sparks - Copying and pasting what was posted.

Rule Clarification - Runners Switching on the Bases

Rule 3-3-10 #3, 8-3-6; 8-6-4; 10-2-38

With R1 at second base, R2 at first base and a 1-1 count on B3, the offensive coach requests time to speak with the runners and batter. When the players return to their bases, R1 and R2 have switched bases. After the next pitch to B3, the defensive coach asks for time and appeals to the umpire that the runners are on the wrong bases. RULING: The umpire shall rule both R1 and R2 out for switching bases. Both are guilty of base-running infractions. If, in the umpire's judgment, the act was deliberate, both players would be ejected for unsporting behavior.

Without trying to start something nor meaning to be a wise***, break down the rules
that were stated as being utilized for pentaly imposed for this infraction utilizing 2003
NFHS Rule Book.

Rule 3 Sec 3 Art 10 #3. There were only 2 Articles under Sec 3 and no mention of switching bases.

Rule 8 Sec 3 Art 6. Art 6. A runner shall not run bases in reverse order either
to confuse the fielders or to make a travesty of the game. Would this apply?

Rule 8 Sec 6 Art 4. Physically passing a preceding runner before that runner has been put out.
Penalty - ball is in play and the runner is out. One out.

Rule 10 Sec 2 Art 38. Only 3 Articles listed.

2004 Rule Book.
3-3-10 Is about bleeding coaches/players.
8-3-6 Running bases in reverse order.
8-6-4 passing preceding runner
10-2-38 no 38 only 3 articles.

Since this was put out originially in 2003, why didn't 2004 Rule book update? Try quoting these
rules to a book wise coach.

I am not belitting Mr. Sparks. I have worked several tournanments when he has been present, even
gotten a couple of nice compliments from him. However, if rules have changed, the books need to be
updated. Our chapter did not receive any written communications on this subject. I was
aware of it because of the ASA change.

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 8 Sec 6 Art 4. Physically passing a preceding runner before that runner has been put out.

But this applies to a live ball situation. The scenario posed is in a dead ball situation. I don't believe this rule applies here.

Rick
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
January 30, 2003

Memo from Walt Sparks, UIC for TASO Softball
Quoting Mr. Sparks - Copying and pasting what was posted.

Rule Clarification - Runners Switching on the Bases

Rule 3-3-10 #3, 8-3-6; 8-6-4; 10-2-38

Rule 3 Sec 3 Art 10 #3. There were only 2 Articles under Sec 3 and no mention of switching bases.
I believe the correct citation is (from the 2002 book) 3.3.1.o #3 which says (paraphrasing) A coach or player ... shall commit any unsporting act to include ... any hehavior not in accordance with the spirit of fair play..

Quote:

Rule 8 Sec 3 Art 6. Art 6. A runner shall not run bases in reverse order either to confuse the fielders or to make a travesty of the game. Would this apply?
My guess is this is meant to apply to the lead runner who technically did "run" the bases in reverse order. Although not in keeping with the original intent of the rule, peple try to invoke this rule any time a runner returns to a previous base.

Quote:

This one seems to be the only rule that really could apply if you claim that once the ball has been made live again that R2 has "passed" R1.

Quote:

Rule 10 Sec 2 Art 38. Only 3 Articles listed.
Again quoting from the 2002 book, this appears to be rule 10.2.3.c which says The duties include ... the following: Eject a player, coach ... or 10.2.3.f Penalize for rules infractions such as ... unsporting behavior...

Quote:

2004 Rule Book.
3-3-10 Is about bleeding coaches/players.
8-3-6 Running bases in reverse order.
8-6-4 passing preceding runner
10-2-38 no 38 only 3 articles.
Since I don't have a 2004 book, I can't comment on what the new citations might be.

SamC

[Edited by SamNVa on Jan 9th, 2004 at 01:30 PM]
Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

But this applies to a live ball situation. The scenario posed is in a dead ball situation. I don't believe this rule applies here.

Rick
Rick,
That is why the offense has not occured until the ball is made live. Just as if an illegal substitute is entered as a runner, there is no penalty unless the ball is made live.(see 3-3-3-e) It is at that point the offense has occured.

When the ball is placed in play, the runner has advanced beyond the preceeding runner on the basepath.

Mike and I both made that point, I thought.

Roger Greene

Old Fri Jan 09, 2004, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Rick
I agree, just pointing out the the cited rules don't
apply to the situation.

glen

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.