The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 28, 2024, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

tack cloth-pitcher

If tack cloth substance leaves ball sticky, should it be removed from pitchers pocket?
Old Sun Apr 28, 2024, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
If tack cloth substance leaves ball sticky, should it be removed from pitchers pocket?
In NFHS:
6-2-2: Pitchers can only use dirt, powdered rosin or comparable drying agents that are listed on the USA Softball's certified equipment webpage to dry the hand.
So, if it leaves the ball sticky, probably not "listed on the USA Softball's certified equipment webpage".

I would say removal is required if that is needed to prevent use, else not.
Old Mon Apr 29, 2024, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Here's my problem with the tack cloth.
First, it's a Gorilla tack cloth. Which is allowed. But pitcher must wipe after making contact with it. Fed says as long as any substance doesn't leave a scuff mark on the ball, it's legal.
So pitcher wipes, but after awhile, she's now leaving the ball a little stickier, but not scuffed. Opposing coach complains.
According to the rule, as written, ball is still legal to use.
(It's obvious to me, that even if pitcher wipes, some substance is still getting to the ball, which I think, makes it an an unfair advantage).
Comment?
Old Mon Apr 29, 2024, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Is it Gorilla Gold "ORIGINAL", legal

Or, Gorilla Gold "GOLF", not legal
Old Mon Apr 29, 2024, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Where did you get that info from?
How am I suppose to tell what kind it is? It's just a sticky rag.
Old Wed May 01, 2024, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Where did you get that info from?
How am I suppose to tell what kind it is? It's just a sticky rag.
It has to be USA Softball certified:
https://www.usasoftball.com/certified-equipment/

Only Gold Original is, the Golf version is not.
I can't tell if you are referring to either by "sticky rag".
Old Wed May 01, 2024, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

"Under the supervision and control of the umpire, powder resin and / or an approved drying agent that is included on the list published by USA Softball may be used by the pitcher.”

"the list published by USA Softball may be used by the pitcher."
I give, where's the list?

How can a tack cloth be allowed in softball and strictly prohibited in baseball for pitchers?

According to NCAA rules, players cannot apply a "foreign substance or moisture to the ball or to the pitching hand or fingers, or do anything to deface the ball." Use of a foreign substance, typically something sticky that improves grip, can create higher spin rates that increase the ball's movement. A violation results in ejection.
Old Wed May 01, 2024, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"Under the supervision and control of the umpire, powder resin and / or an approved drying agent that is included on the list published by USA Softball may be used by the pitcher.”

"the list published by USA Softball may be used by the pitcher."

How can a tack cloth be allowed in softball and strictly prohibited in baseball for pitchers?

According to NCAA rules, players cannot apply a "foreign substance or moisture to the ball or to the pitching hand or fingers, or do anything to deface the ball." Use of a foreign substance, typically something sticky that improves grip, can create higher spin rates that increase the ball's movement. A violation results in ejection.
The link above
Old Wed May 01, 2024, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for your help.
Old Thu May 02, 2024, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here's my problem with the tack cloth.
First, it's a Gorilla tack cloth. Which is allowed. But pitcher must wipe after making contact with it. Fed says as long as any substance doesn't leave a scuff mark on the ball, it's legal.
So pitcher wipes, but after awhile, she's now leaving the ball a little stickier, but not scuffed. Opposing coach complains.
According to the rule, as written, ball is still legal to use.
(It's obvious to me, that even if pitcher wipes, some substance is still getting to the ball, which I think, makes it an an unfair advantage).
Comment?

Remember they do NOT have to wipe after using a drying agent. Hand to mouth they must wipe.

ART. 2 . . . The pitcher shall:
a. Not be allowed to use tape or other non-approved substances on the ball or contact points of the pitching hands or fingers; nor shall any other player apply a foreign substance to the ball. NOTE: Dirt is not considered a foreign substance and does not have to be wiped from the hand prior to contacting the ball.

b. Wipe off their fingers before contacting the ball if they have licked their fingers.

c. Be allowed to use, under the supervision and control of the umpire, pow- dered rosin or any comparable drying agent listed on USA Softball’s cer- tified equipment webpage to dry the hand. It is not necessary to wipe off these drying agents before making contact with the ball. PENALTY: (Art. 2) An illegal pitch shall be called immediately. (6-1-1 PENALTY)
Old Sat May 04, 2024, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

The Gorilla Gold Original Reusable All Sport Tackifying Grip Enhancer Towel is an all-natural resin that doesn't mess with the ball, bat, club, racket, etc. while giving more control with less pressure. Use it on hands, gloves, or grips for many sports when fielding, hitting, throwing or catching in softball, baseball, golf, tennis, football, and many more.
All-natural resins that doesn't mess up the ball, bat, club, racket, etc. while giving more control with less pressure

Use on hands, gloves and grips for many sports, clean alternative to pine tar, and effective on wood or aluminum bats
For wet grass or sweaty hands when fielding, hitting, throwing or catching in softball, baseball, golf, tennis, football
Improves your grip even in the rain
Eliminates slipping and over-gripping
No smell, mess, or build-up on hands, grips, gloves, or balls
Approved for play in nearly all leagues including MLB, PGA, LPGA, NCAA, ISCl, USTA & Now ASA approved for pitchers, ASA Rule 6 Section 6 A Fast Pitch
Re-sealable bag, One cloth lasts 3-6 weeks
Gorilla Gold Grip Enhancer

Approved for Pitchers! Approved by NFHS, NCAA, ASA, USSSA, ISF, ISC for use on the mound in Softball. It’s also approved for baseball pitchers by the NFHS. Also use on bats and batting gloves with no mess. All natural. No messy build-up on equipment or uniforms. Dissipates quickly with no lingering sticky feel. Leaves no residue on the ball. The ideal solution for wet conditions. Also great for golfers, tennis players, soccer goalkeepers.

Improves your grip even in the rain|Eliminates slipping and over-gripping|No smell, mess, or build up on hands, grips, gloves or balls
Old Sun May 05, 2024, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil4 View Post
The Gorilla Gold Original Reusable All Sport Tackifying Grip Enhancer Towel is an all-natural resin that doesn't mess with the ball, bat, club, racket, etc. while giving more control with less pressure. Use it on hands, gloves, or grips for many sports when fielding, hitting, throwing or catching in softball, baseball, golf, tennis, football, and many more.
All-natural resins that doesn't mess up the ball, bat, club, racket, etc. while giving more control with less pressure

Use on hands, gloves and grips for many sports, clean alternative to pine tar, and effective on wood or aluminum bats
For wet grass or sweaty hands when fielding, hitting, throwing or catching in softball, baseball, golf, tennis, football
Improves your grip even in the rain
Eliminates slipping and over-gripping
No smell, mess, or build-up on hands, grips, gloves, or balls
Approved for play in nearly all leagues including MLB, PGA, LPGA, NCAA, ISCl, USTA & Now ASA approved for pitchers, ASA Rule 6 Section 6 A Fast Pitch
Re-sealable bag, One cloth lasts 3-6 weeks
Gorilla Gold Grip Enhancer

Approved for Pitchers! Approved by NFHS, NCAA, ASA, USSSA, ISF, ISC for use on the mound in Softball. It’s also approved for baseball pitchers by the NFHS. Also use on bats and batting gloves with no mess. All natural. No messy build-up on equipment or uniforms. Dissipates quickly with no lingering sticky feel. Leaves no residue on the ball. The ideal solution for wet conditions. Also great for golfers, tennis players, soccer goalkeepers.

Improves your grip even in the rain|Eliminates slipping and over-gripping|No smell, mess, or build up on hands, grips, gloves or balls
\\

Well, I guess that's proof enough for me. But, if all of this is true, why must the pitcher still wipe before touching the ball?
Old Sun May 05, 2024, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
\\

Well, I guess that's proof enough for me. But, if all of this is true, why must the pitcher still wipe before touching the ball?
Did you not read the rule I posted for softball? no wiping required for drying substance.
Old Sun May 05, 2024, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

To be an instigator, moisture from the pitcher's mouth must be wiped, but not moisture from mud. Nothing in rules about another player's mouth.
Old Sun May 05, 2024, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil4 View Post
To be an instigator, moisture from the pitcher's mouth must be wiped, but not moisture from mud. Nothing in rules about another player's mouth.
ewww...