The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Ticky Tack ... or not??

Boys 4th grade rec. league in O/T, pressing in the BC is allowed. A1 has the ball for a designated spot throw-in along the baseline in their back court. A2 is right on the edge of the court reaches across the vertical boundary and A1 hands him the ball. A Team B player was close but was not making an overt attempt to get between A1 and A2. I call a violation and give the ball to Team B for a designated spot throw-in.

During the post game the senior official that I was working with asked about the call. He didn't have a problem with it but he mentioned that some officials would consider that to be ticky tack.

Here's what I think:
Since BC press was allowed and their was opposing team players in the vicinity, it's not ticky tack.
If it occurred in the team's front court it's not ticky tack.
If it occurred in the BC when no pressing is allowed or if there are no Team B players in the vicinity, let it go, but give a warning and hit them with a violation if it happens again.
Whether A2 reaches OOB to receive the hand off or whether A1 reaches in-bounds to give A2 the ball doesn't make a difference.

Thoughts please.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

4TH Grade?

Here's what I think:

Listen to your "Senior" official.
Richland, WA
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 04:44pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
Thoughts please.
Good call. I guess at some age I would talk to the players, but in a HS game, I call it every time: pressure or no pressure.

Among 4th graders (9 years old) and there is pressure. A has to inbounds properly. Why give them an unfair advantage when B is playing within the rules?
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 04:48pm
In Memoriam

Hadta be there to judge the tone, the skill level.
I don't know if I woulda, coulda or shoulda called the violation.
I think that call or no-call is a wash and that you did just fine.

More than that, you may have taught the kids, coaches and parents the actual rule.
That's a good thing.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

"ticky tack" violation? wtf? Usually, ticky tack is used to refer to foul calls.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
4TH Grade?

Here's what I think:

Listen to your "Senior" official.
Since you apparently missed it in the OP, the senior official didn't have a problem with the call, he said some officials might consider it ticky tack. Hence, I'm asking experienced (or presumably experienced) officials what they think.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

does that mean there would be a "ticky tack" travel call, or a "ticky tack" lane violation? Just have to ask!!!
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

yes to a ticky tack lane violation -- you know the one where the ball is 30 feet away and offensive player has been in the key about 3 or 4 seconds and is making his way out and ball is still just being passes around 30-40 feet away and you hear 3seconds -- to me -- that is ticky tack -- or the 3second violation where you ask the guy to leave and he is making his way out and you call it
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 05:06pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliOne
does that mean there would be a "ticky tack" travel call, or a "ticky tack" lane violation? Just have to ask!!!
Sure...in a 4th grade game there definitely could be a ticky-tack travel or lane violation call...

example: little 4th grade Johnny receives the in-bounds pass under opponents basket - the closest defender is 65 feet away. Little Johnny takes an extra step as he starts his dribble...calling that could be considered ticky-tack.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

I meant, free throw lane violation... my bad. but i get your point. a rocky's point.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 05:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliOne
How about someone with a toe in the lane up by the free throw line getting called for a 3-second violation? THAT would be ticky-tack.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

It would only take once..That kid would never cross his big toe over that line again.

OK, here's a question: how many officials do you know who (in high school) will administer a T if the book isn't done at the 10 minute mark? Is that ticky tack or what? I've never given a T for that, but think that if I did, it would only take once for each team, then they'd all have em done and ready on time.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

A "boys 4th grade rec. senior official" sounds oxymoronic. I would not be very concerned. At the same, time keep your mind open to perceiving how the other officials call the game. Pick up a little here and there and hopefully you won't be a senior official calling boys 4th grade games, (unless that is your ambition or calling).
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIAm
A "boys 4th grade rec. senior official" sounds oxymoronic. I would not be very concerned. At the same, time keep your mind open to perceiving how the other officials call the game. Pick up a little here and there and hopefully you won't be a senior official calling boys 4th grade games, (unless that is your ambition or calling).
From personal experience...not if you are working your way back from injuries suffered in something like a serious car accident. In that case...just getting on the floor is theraputic.
Old Fri Jan 19, 2007, 05:35pm

It doesn't matter if it's ticky tack or not. You made the call, it was the correct call, leave it at that, sleep well tonight. It would be a problem worth investigating if it was the wrong call. As you continue to referee, you will begin to see what calls you can let go and what calls you need to make. People, fans, coaches, and yes officials will question every call you make that they don't like, no matter how long you officiate, so my point is get use to it. Just make sure you get the right call and move on.

Now, I have a question for you. Would you make that same call again?

Oh, and last, I would not let anyone give me any grief over a correct call. I got one for you. I called a 10 second F/T shooter violation for taking too long to shoot, late in a tournament game. My partner didn't like the call, said it was ticky tack. I told him "thems the breaks!" On to the next game.