The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 09, 2022, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Arm injury

Anyone wearing some type of wrist/forearm protection? What are you wearing?
I took a shot from an inside pitch in the dirt that the catcher missed and hit me just above the wrist. Ended up breaking a bone in my forearm. I am now in a cast for 6 weeks. This was a 14U tourney. Have a tourney coming up that I will work while still in the cast. I am thinking about protection going forward once the cast comes off. I know there are probably some stances that will protect me better but that is not the answer as I will continue to use my stance I've used for years.
Old Mon Jul 11, 2022, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
I took a shot from an inside pitch in the dirt that the catcher missed and hit me just above the wrist. Ended up breaking a bone in my forearm. I am now in a cast for 6 weeks. This was a 14U tourney. Have a tourney coming up that I will work while still in the cast. I am thinking about protection going forward once the cast comes off. I know there are probably some stances that will protect me better but that is not the answer as I will continue to use my stance I've used for years.
Sorry, you are hurt, Duke.
Isn't there an arm guard similar to the single shin guard pros wear for foul balls. Else, maybe ask a catcher. There was a sleeve Bryce Harper wore after his arm injury, but I don't know if it was protective.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2022, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

I've worked with a guy that uses little kids soccer shin guards.
Old Wed Jul 13, 2022, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-MI View Post
I've worked with a guy that uses little kids soccer shin guards.
That's an innovative solution.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2022, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I miss the old balloon chest protectors that would have prevented injuries like this one.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2022, 04:33pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post

Duke:

I do not want to be the spoil sport here, but have cleared going back to umpiring (especially the Plate) while wearing a cast with your orthopedic surgeon. The fact that you have a broken bone in your lower arm and have to have your arm in a cast should tell you something: Take some time and let your arm heal. The cast's job is to keep the bone in place so that it can heal properly and not protect your arm from another hit by a Ball.

You did not say if this was a USA Softball game (but for the sake of this discussion lets say it was; meaning you are a USA Registered Softball Umpire). I do not if you are a Maine Principals' Association (I do not know if the MPA is 100% NFIOA Member with the NFHS, but if I were a betting man, I would bet dollars to donuts that it is, and I have my own reason for making that bet.) Registered H.S. Softball Umpire nor do I know if you are a member of NASA (and I hope that you are).

USA Softball, NFIOA, and NASO have medical insurance that becomes your secondary medical insurance (you can only choose one) after your primary medical insurance and if you do not have any medical insurance one of those three insurance policies becomes your primary, but I do not believe if you can then use one of the remaining two to be your secondary medical insurance. And if you are NASO member I believe that it has a game fee replacement insurance policy in place.

I would check it out. And I hope you heal well.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jul 25, 2022, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Mark,
Yes I got the ok to umpire from the Dr. I did just call a tourney this past weekend. Took one glancing hit on the cast. No problem. I am a USA registered umpire and this was a USA sanctioned event. That is my only association. Here in Maine, the MPA contracts with USA to work the High School games using NFHS rules. So we work as USA umpires while working High School ( one set of uniforms )
I have contacted RPS (Bollingers Insurance) and got my approval letter for the injury.
With a $500 deductible I doubt this will kick in. Medicare Advantage plan seems to cover most of my bills. I did not miss any games due to this injury so did not submit missed games fees.