View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 26, 2003, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

ASA Alleged Adult Slow Pitch

Before we start, keep in mind that our league allows ALL divisions to not run the bases on an over the fence HR. This information will help explain R1's actions on this play.

This was related to me by a 1st yr ump during football clinics Saturday so the only detail I have is what gets stated here, but I think its enough.

R1 on 1st, assuming less than two outs. Batter hits a long fly ball which bounces of the fence and back into the field of play where it is caught. BR passes R1 while rounding first. R1, thinking the ball is over the fence heads for the dugout. BR realizing the ball did not clear the fence, returns to 1b.

The ump relating the story does so with the recognition that he screwed up...he called R1 out, but for unknown reasons as R1 had not yet left the field of play when he rang him. I dunno? No one argued and he left it there. BR on 1st, R1 out for reasons unknown. He never said if there was a discussion with his partner. Knowing this association, I would assume no such conversation took place.

I'm thinking I would call BR out for passing R1, and R1 out for abandonment since he apparently never figured out that the ball did not clear the fence. Again, I wasn't there, I'm only going on what I was told, but I can't figure that R1 never saw the ball getting thrown about from the outfield to the infield to the pitcher, or where ever else the ball may have gone.

So, simply put, BR passes R1, R1 goes to the dugout.

Your turn....

Ed