The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 02, 2021, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Fed rule

Can't find anything in rule book.
Bases loaded, no outs, all 3 runners are off their bases before pitch released. How many outs could you get?
If possible, mention rule #.
Old Thu Jun 03, 2021, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

One.

You can only get one out when multiple runners leave early. 8-7-18
Old Fri Jun 04, 2021, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

I see something under 8-6-18. But it doesn't say anything about only penalizing one runner?
Old Sat Jun 05, 2021, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

The effect of 8-6-18 is that the ball is dead. One runner must have left before the other therefore only one is out. It's your job to decide which.
Old Sun Jun 06, 2021, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Thank you for your response, that's what I wanted to know!
Old Wed Jun 16, 2021, 01:23pm
Stirrer of the Pot

The only organization I know where multiple runners may be ruled out for leaving their bases early is NCAA. That's because unlike any other sanction, an LBE violation is a delayed dead ball at the college level.

For those where there's an immediate dead ball ruling, in theory someone left first. The umpires then have to judge which one left first should more than one runner be in violation.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Jun 16, 2021, 04:24pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
The only organization I know where multiple runners may be ruled out for leaving their bases early is NCAA. That's because unlike any other sanction, an LBE violation is a delayed dead ball at the college level.

For those where there's an immediate dead ball ruling, in theory someone left first. The umpires then have to judge which one left first should more than one runner be in violation.

Manny:

I am going with the one closest to HP. Just my humble opinion; I have yet to discuss this play with Mark, Jr. but I would speculate that he would agree with me at least he had better agree with me. !

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jun 29, 2021, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The only organization I know where multiple runners may be ruled out for leaving their bases early is NCAA.
This is not true.

Quote:
That's because, unlike any other sanction, an LBE violation is a delayed dead ball at the college level.
This part is true. Then, the defensive team has the option of taking the penalty for leaving early or taking the result of the play. If the penalty for leaving early is taken, they get one out - whichever runner was judged to have left their base first. If the batter lines out into a DP, then the defense can take the result of the play. They get two outs, but not because two runners left early.

I believe the above to be true, but I no longer have an NCAA Rules Book to verify it and provide Rules references.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2021, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake26 View Post
[snip]
I believe the above to be true, but I no longer have an NCAA Rules Book to verify it and provide Rules references.
NCAA rules and interpretations here.

Like Manny, I don't know of another organization that treats leaving early as a delayed dead ball or allows more than one runner to be called out.
If you know of one, please let the board know.

In the NCAA case book:
A.R. 12-38.
With the bases loaded, the batter takes the pitch but the runners
on first and third base both leave early. Are both runners out?

RULING: The defensive coach may choose between taking the results
of the play (a ball or strike as called by the plate umpire, bases remain
loaded) or "no pitch", the batter remains at bat and the offending
runners are both declared out.
(Rule 12.14.2)

Last edited by Crabby_Bob; Tue Jun 29, 2021 at 06:32pm.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2021, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabby_Bob View Post
NCAA rules and interpretations here.

Like Manny, I don't know of another organization that treats leaving early as a delayed dead ball or allows more than one runner to be called out.
If you know of one, please let the board know.

In the NCAA case book:
A.R. 12-38.
With the bases loaded, the batter takes the pitch but the runners
on first and third base both leave early. Are both runners out?

RULING: The defensive coach may choose between taking the results
of the play (a ball or strike as called by the plate umpire, bases remain
loaded) or "no pitch", the batter remains at bat and the offending
runners are both declared out.
(Rule 12.14.2)
Thanks. Like I said, it has been a while since I last had the chance to look at it and that is a change from then. I think.
Old Wed Jul 14, 2021, 02:36pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake26 View Post
Thanks. Like I said, it has been a while since I last had the chance to look at it and that is a change from then. I think.
I'm fairly certain that even before the NCAA changed the LBE violation from an immediate No Pitch like it is in NFHS, USA Softball, etc., to a delayed dead ball, a case play existed where more than one runner could be ruled out. It was in a list of case plays that Dee Abrahamson, the Secretary Rules Editor from 1996 to 2016, had put out before they were officially codified in an NCAA Softball Case Book. If memory serves, it was when more than one runner left their bases simultaneously.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker