The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 15, 2020, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Sinclair Community College (a state college in Toledo, Ohio), a NJCAA school and a member of the Ohio Community College Athletic Conference announced today that it was suspending all intercollegiate athletics for the 2020-21 school year.

MTD, Sr.
I suspect 20-21 is going to be a bad year to be an official. With several D1 programs cutting sports, I'm sure we will hear a lot more of that in the coming weeks. Several D2 and D3 and smaller schools have not only cut sports, but are closing completely.

I don't think the virus is totally to blame, but I think it is drastically increasing financial problems that have already existed.
Old Sat May 16, 2020, 04:23pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

NCAA Division 2 Urbana University of Ohio had been controlled by Franklin university since 2014 and is closing due to ongoing budgetary issues and declining enrollment further exacerbated by COVID-19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I don't think the virus is totally to blame, but I think it is drastically increasing financial problems that have already existed.
Especially for smaller colleges/universities and any other ones that barely kept afloat financially.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu May 28, 2020, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Why are so many opening, starting or planning activities based on release from rules and restrictions; rather than concern for risk, safety and health?
Isn't it just about money?

Last edited by CecilOne; Thu May 28, 2020 at 11:11am.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2020, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

If you will it, they will come...

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/h...d-19-pandemic/

Any umps from Iowa? What's your thoughts?
Old Tue Jun 02, 2020, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

OK, games and tournaments might be played soon. As of now, we have possibilities NEXT WEEK, June 12 -14.

My question is about precautions and procedures.
How will umpires be protected from COVID 19 contact during tournaments? What do you know so far?
Old Wed Jun 03, 2020, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Worked a few games at a USSSA tournament in Kansas this past Saturday, their first weekend to play.

Only the two umpires and the two head coaches were at the pre-game meeting.

Umpires were not to touch the bats and were not to touch the game balls. Each team had two game balls. They took one out to the circle and brought it back to the dugout after the half-inning. In theory, all the touches on a game ball were by members of one team. Not perfect, but pretty close.

Other than that, no changes in mechanics or general practices for the umpires - still called the zone from behind the catcher. No requirement for a COVID-mask.

There seemed to be more fans in their lawn chairs around the outfield fence and fewer in the stands, but other than that, just a tournament like last summer.
Old Fri Jun 05, 2020, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Some things being discussed in NH (USA Softball related) include:

No out of state umpires will be used in any tournaments.
NH umpires not permitted to work games outside of NH.
If any travel team plays in a tournament outside of NH, their entire program will be un-sanctioned for NH play. (USA Softball National Tournaments is an exception.)
All tournaments will permit in state teams only; no out of state teams permitted.
Prior to tournament games, all team personnel must have their temperature taken. Umpires will also need this.
Umpires will be required to wear Covid masks on the field.
Plate conference will include 1 coach from each team & the umpires. Line up cards will be handed over from coach to PU and not returned for a check. Verbal confirmation shall suffice.
Each team will have 2 game balls that they will use. At the end of an inning, the ball(s) will be taken to dugout by the defensive team.
Balls that go out of play and retrieved will need to be sanitized prior to being put back into play.
Umpires will not have any balls in their ball bag(s) which should only now be used for line up cards, brush, pen/pencil, flip coin.
Teams on offense must still “social distance” in dugouts, which likely means on many fields that they will have to be outside the fenced in area of the field.
Equipment checks may require umpires to wear gloves or equipment will need to be “re-sanitized”.
Some game rules may be relaxed if players are uncomfortable coming to bat. Outs would not be taken in those instances.
Waivers would need to be signed by everybody.
All trash would have to be removed by the teams. There may be no trash cans for disposal of trash as a result. “You bring it, you take it back.”
Game schedules will likely be more spread out to allow for teams to vacate a field prior to the next teams coming in. In turn, this may affect the timed games’ length.

There may be other things that will be required. And perhaps some things will be relaxed over time.

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Fri Jun 05, 2020 at 11:59am. Reason: changed teams on defense to offense
Old Wed Jun 10, 2020, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Masks

So PU must wear a mask but not F2. They are about a foot apart and breathing on each other, but only PU must wear a mask? If F2 gets the virus, illness is likely to be mild with virtually zero chance of death. If PU is 60 or older, much, much more at risk. I'm all for protecting the kids, but does anyone care about PU? How hard is it for F2 to put a paper surgical mask on?
Old Sat Jun 13, 2020, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue View Post
So PU must wear a mask but not F2.
Who said that?
Old Sun Jun 14, 2020, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Who said that?
Probably referring to the list in your 6/5 post, including:
"Umpires will be required to wear Covid masks on the field."
Old Sun Jun 14, 2020, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

The latest in Maryland, retyped by me.
All youth and amateur sports gatherings and events may resume sporting and other customary operations as of 5 PM on June 12th and 5 PM on June 19th for indoor activities. May not be open to the general public. Indoor activities are restricted to 50% of capacity and six feet distancing whenever possible. To the extent possible, individuals engaged in the sport and at the venue shall wear face covering especially when distancing is not feasible.

Latest in Delaware, generally seen as nonsense, starting June 15th, also retyped by me.
PU behind pitcher. Catcher 6 feet from batter or not used. No stealing second, so F3 can social distance. Ball rotated out frequently and disinfected between innings. Equipment should not be shared. Distancing in dugouts and stands. Base coaches distanced from others. No community water cooler, spitting, gum or seeds. Teams should use their own set of game balls. Spectators under gathering rules.
Old Sun Jun 14, 2020, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Cecil,
I was looking for some Delaware return info. Saw baseball addressed on a site, but not softball. You said “ catcher 6 feet away from batter or not used”. Not used? Really? How’s that supposed to work?
Old Sun Jun 14, 2020, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
Cecil,
I was looking for some Delaware return info. Saw baseball addressed on a site, but not softball. You said “ catcher 6 feet away from batter or not used”. Not used? Really? How’s that supposed to work?
The Delaware guideline is captioned Baseball/Softball.
https://coronavirus.delaware.gov/wp-...eopening-1.pdf

No one I know thinks it is doable.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2020, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
Cecil,
Backstop, and then the pitcher has to go get the ball. Pitcher may keep a bagful of balls by hir feet and collect them when the supply is exhausted.
Old Mon Jun 15, 2020, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Backstop, and then the pitcher has to go get the ball. Pitcher may keep a bagful of balls by hir feet and collect them when the supply is exhausted.
Is that published or distributed somewhere?
Where are you located?