The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   The Pandemic - your area (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/105035-pandemic-your-area.html)

Tru_in_Blu Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:35am

The Pandemic - your area

Obviously, major decisions are being made relative to the spread of the Coronavirus. Has it directly affected your area yet?

In nearby Boston several colleges/universities have moved to online classes. Some schools have told students they need to move out of their dorms, while a few are allowing students to remain in their dorms.

Several high schools in both MA & NH have closed for either a few days or a couple of weeks.

Our HS softball season in NH is scheduled to start the second week in April. I think MA might start a week ahead of NH.

So far, we've not heard anything about the spring sports season. But can it be too long before schools start taking the cue from the major sports leagues and major events?

I wouldn't be surprised if high school sports were suspended or outright cancelled. Our softball season is only about 7 weeks long (followed by playoff games).

What's happening in your area?

3afan Fri Mar 13, 2020 09:22am

High schools in N TX are beginning to postpone games for (mostly) 2 weeks. But I assume thats just the beginning. :confused:

DaveASA/FED Fri Mar 13, 2020 09:33am

Well here in Indiana most high schools are out till after their spring breaks (returning first week in April) so slowly those games are being cancelled and I am sure it will roll into more of the April games.

As of now they are still having basketball finals, but limited attendance. I think they said there will be 75 "approved" individuals from each school allowed so family basically.

As you stated most colleges have cancelled in person classes and are limiting other group meetings to certain sizes.

Crazy times we are living through right now.

DRJ1960 Fri Mar 13, 2020 09:34am

NC & VA have shut all athletics down for at least several weeks....

SE Minnestoa Re Fri Mar 13, 2020 04:40pm

Minnesota just this afternoon cancelled all state tournaments and ordered no spring games or scrimmages be played until April 6 at the earliest.

Stat-Man Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:21pm

The NAIA conference that the majority of NAIA schools in my state belong to canceled all spring sports activities, so the spring season is officially over for all of its spring sports teams.

My alma mater is switching to off-campus instruction (I wonder how science labs will be handled) and final exams. As part of the aforementioned end of spring sports activities and the move to keep as many people off campus, the all-sport athletic banquet scheduled for the end of April has been apparently been canceled as well along with commencement.

As mentioned in another post, our state high school association ceased all activities in conjunction with the directive to close schools for three weeks. We had the winter post-season, tryouts for spring sports, and fall sport off-season activities all going on right now, so it affected pretty much every sport.

Also, all spring high school games prior to April 6 have been canceled. At present, it's anyone's guess as to whether we have a spring season or if the state will adjust the post-season dates to allow schools to play as many of their originally-scheduled spring games as possible without overloading their calendars and ensuring the games can be adequately covered with our limited number of spring sport officials.

chapmaja Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:26pm

Michigan

in Michigan they have "postponed" all winter championships which have not been completed (gymnastics, boys swimming, basketball, and ice hockey).

Additionally, all K-12 schools have been ordered closed by the governor and as a result the MHSAA has ordered that no practices or team events of any kind may be held during this time period. Additionally, the officials were informed that no officials association meetings/clinics are to be held over this time frame.

The closure will extend until at least the end of the day April 5th. Given that most sports have 1 minimum one week practice requirement before competition, I don't see any events being held until at least the second week of April. I have already had one school tell me they will not compete until at least April 20th, because they are on Spring Break from the 6th to the 13th, and they are requiring a week practice period before any contests.

I know personally I have already lost well over $1,000 in income from cancellations of events scheduled the next few weeks.

Texas Aggie Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:05pm

Texas has suspended all HS/Jr. high events (athletic and otherwise) until further notice. They stopped a state championship basketball game at halftime.

That was a bit absurd.

chapmaja Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas Aggie (Post 1038246)
Texas has suspended all HS/Jr. high events (athletic and otherwise) until further notice. They stopped a state championship basketball game at halftime.

That was a bit absurd.

That was more than a bit absurd. I don't understand the idea of shutting down events already going on like a basketball game during the game.

I understand shutting down the college conference tourneys because many people had not shown up yet for those events (Big Ten was starting 2nd day, the first of which many fans would be at).

The NCAA shut down the DII swimming and diving championships between the prelims and finals on Day 2 of 4. I have heard rumors that they were in the middle of the consolation finals of diving when the divers were pulled off the boards and told the event was cancelled, although that is unconfirmed.

Stat-Man Sat Mar 14, 2020 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 1038251)
That was more than a bit absurd. I don't understand the idea of shutting down events already going on like a basketball game during the game.

I was listening to the USCAA tournament webcasts when I could this week. The Division 2 men & women played Monday through Wednesday without a hitch. Division 1 men & women started Thursday and I was listening to what looked to be Thursday's last game when the decision was made to end the tournament immediately even though that game had only made it to end of the first quarter.

As much as I respect the decision to end the tournament week early, I wish it would have been possible to let that particular game finish so to complete the day's schedule before sending everyone home.

agr8zebra Sat Mar 14, 2020 05:32pm

Utah, On hold

Jake26 Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:56am

KS as of 13 March:

The KSHSAA has made no alterations to the spring sports season at this time. Local school leaders are empowered to make the best decisions for their respective student-athletes and school communities for regular season athletic practices and competitions.

Further note: Most of the schools are on Spring Break during the coming week.

Robert Goodman Sun Mar 15, 2020 01:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 1038251)

There's a certain sense to it: that the less time the competitors spend in proximity to each other, the better.

Quote:

The NCAA shut down the DII swimming and diving championships between the prelims and finals on Day 2 of 4. I have heard rumors that they were in the middle of the consolation finals of diving when the divers were pulled off the boards and told the event was cancelled, although that is unconfirmed.
That one's ridiculous. Swimming and diving, the competitors don't even get close to each other, nor are they manipulating an object like a basketball. And even if they picked up something on their hands, swimming is continuously washing them.

I could see clearing out the audience, though. Still, the high humidity inside a pool room is not conducive to airborne virus transmission.

Tru_in_Blu Sun Mar 15, 2020 05:36pm

NH: School districts will have one week to prepare remote learning systems. Then, there will be two weeks of remote learning across the state through April 3, Sununu said.

No mention of school extracurricular activities, but I will assume this means none will be allowed.

Lots of trips being canceled. Eighth graders usually have a trip to Washington, D.C. Another local HS's marching band was going to appear in at least a couple of parades in D.C. & NYC.

Logistics people must be going crazy.

Manny A Tue Mar 17, 2020 08:58am

In my neck near Charleston, SC, we didn't get the word that high school softball games were going to be postponed until just Sunday night (March 15). Then on Monday, the SCHSL met and decided to cancel all sports events until after April 5. I seriously doubt we'll start play on April 6, but that's the current decision.

I had a JV/Varsity doubleheader scheduled for Monday, and I thought for sure we were going to play. If the state governor had not announced on Sunday that all schools would be closed on Monday, I really think SCHSL would have allowed it.