The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 17, 2020, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

NH has canceled the remainder of the winter schedule. That means some championships are currently unresolved. They may appoint co-champs in the case of only 2 teams remaining. Not sure what happens if there are more than 2 left in a tournament.

Spring sports are suspended through at least April 27. Middle school sports won't start until May 4.

All subject to change, of course.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2020, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake26 View Post
KS as of 13 March:

The KSHSAA has made no alterations to the spring sports season at this time. Local school leaders are empowered to make the best decisions for their respective student-athletes and school communities for regular season athletic practices and competitions.

Further note: Most of the schools are on Spring Break during the coming week.
With a notice issued late on 18 March, Kansas has canceled all spring activities. The governor has previously banned all in-person instruction in Kansas schools, so this decision was just a matter of time.
Old Thu Mar 19, 2020, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
NH: School districts will have one week to prepare remote learning systems. Then, there will be two weeks of remote learning across the state through April 3, Sununu said.

No mention of school extracurricular activities, but I will assume this means none will be allowed.

Lots of trips being canceled. Eighth graders usually have a trip to Washington, D.C. Another local HS's marching band was going to appear in at least a couple of parades in D.C. & NYC.

Logistics people must be going crazy.
I'm wondering how long this is going to last in NH. I am supposed to fly into Boston to attend my graduation from SNHU the second weekend of May. As of now nothing is cancelled, but if I were a betting man, I would bet graduation won't be held that weekend.
Old Mon Mar 23, 2020, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Michigan is now under a stay at home order from tonight at 12:01am until April 13th at 11:59 pm.

This means my entire HS softball schedule is now cancelled and may not be rescheduled (I had two dates scheduled).
Old Tue Mar 24, 2020, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

"My Area" may be just a bit larger than many of you, and the game losses you mention.

I have canceled 525 NCAA Div 1 games in 3 different conferences, 450 NAIA/JUCO games, and (just so far) 510 rec games this spring since March 12. I still have another 350 or so spring league games that aren't canceled yet (April 13 on).
Old Tue Mar 24, 2020, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

The VHSL has cancelled the entire spring season. MPSSAA has delayed the season start until April 6, though it is unlikely the games will actually happen.
Old Wed Mar 25, 2020, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
There's a certain sense to it: that the less time the competitors spend in proximity to each other, the better.

That one's ridiculous. Swimming and diving, the competitors don't even get close to each other, nor are they manipulating an object like a basketball. And even if they picked up something on their hands, swimming is continuously washing them.

I could see clearing out the audience, though. Still, the high humidity inside a pool room is not conducive to airborne virus transmission.
My guess is that you have never been at an NFHS swim meet.

While those who are actively swimming at any point in time, may not be in perilously close proximity, the pool deck is a completely different story.

Teams average about 50 athletes each.
A dual meet, 100 +/- athletes
A tri-meet, a quad meet, do the math.
Then there are Invitationals which involves 5 or more teams.

Those who are not currently swimming but are up "next", are lined up behind the starting blocks 4 or 5 deep. 8 to 10 lanes, do the math.

Those who are "not next" are bunched up on bleachers or team areas on the pool deck. Not a lot of available real estate.

Not to mention coaches and officials, you have a lot of humanity in shoulder-to-shoulder proximity. Then add the heat, humidity and bacterial opportunities, it is a very close and uncomfortable environment, even under the best of circumstances.

So, this makes more sense than probably any other sport.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2020, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

NH has extended on line learning to May 4. NHIAA will need to adjust the revised start date for spring sports.

They plan on providing an update next week.
Old Fri Mar 27, 2020, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Maryland has closed schools until April 24.
Delaware has closed schools until May 15.

Both travel ball sanctions, USA and USSSA, in this area say they are hoping for summer tournaments.
Old Sun Mar 29, 2020, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
I'm wondering how long this is going to last in NH. I am supposed to fly into Boston to attend my graduation from SNHU the second weekend of May. As of now nothing is cancelled, but if I were a betting man, I would bet graduation won't be held that weekend.
Perhaps you're already aware of this:

2020 Spring Commencement
SNHU Arena 555 Elm Street, Manchester, NH

Due to the health and safety concerns related to COVID-19, SNHU Spring 2020 Commencement has been postponed. Eligible May graduates, updated registration information will be sent to your SNHU email as soon as new dates are confirmed.
Old Mon Mar 30, 2020, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

For Massachusetts, as of 3-30-20.

By Patriot Ledger

"In a conference call on Monday afternoon, the MIAA Board of Directors voted to push the spring campaign back another week in an attempt to preserve the postseason amid the coronavirus pandemic.

"Under the new plan, which was approved by a 19-0 vote (one board member was absent), the season would kick off on May 4, the date Gov. Charlie Baker last week announced was the first day that state schools would be allowed to re-open. The season would conclude on June 27, with a June 28 rain date for state finals."

Not sure how it works that the first day back to school that schools/teams would be ready for competitive play.

Edit: I did see a report on the news that games would not be played until May 11.

Last edited by Tru_in_Blu; Mon Mar 30, 2020 at 08:32pm. Reason: added info
Old Tue Mar 31, 2020, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

For NH as of 3-31-20

NHIAA Spring Updates

Updated 3/31/2020 at 11:04 am

Due to the Governor’s mandate to extend online learning through the beginning of May, the NHIAA Executive Council has modified the start date of spring sports. The revised dates are as follows:

May 4, 2020 - First date to practice

May 13, 2020 - First date to play

Should the pandemic cause the extension of online learning beyond the current May 4th guideline, we will once again modify the start date accordingly.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2020, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Today, Indiana cancelled all spring sports for the year. No softball, baseball track and field......everything is done for the year, along with school for the year.
Old Fri Apr 03, 2020, 02:49am
Call it as I see it.

California has closed all schools for the remainder of the year. Students in Los Angeles are supposed to be doing on line studies but a big % have never logged on and Tens of Thousands of students in are not logging on daily.
Old Thu Apr 16, 2020, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Looks like the NH Spring sports season is over:

All NH schools will continue remote learning for rest of school year, governor says

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/al...id=hplocalnews