The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 27, 2019, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Check swing mechanic - Plate calls it - Different arm for different batters?

All codes and mechanics welcome. This came up in a discussion this week: PU calls a strike on a check swing. If PU points, should he use his left arm always, or use the opposite arm as the batter's side? (Left arm for RHBs since they are on left side, etc.)
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 05:45am
Official Forum Member

I've never even heard this being discussed. Surely it does not matter ....

I assume most umpires use their right hand since the mask came off with the left.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
I assume most umpires use their right hand since the mask came off with the left.
The mask is unlikely to be removed when PU calls a check swing a strike. It should come off when PU asks partner for help on the call.

This mechanic (PU calling check swing a strike) is not even mentioned in the USA Umpire Manual.

I picked up this mechanic during a National Umpire School session. I have it backwards to the OP in that for a right-handed batter I will point with the left hand and say "that's a swing" and then give the hammer. For lefties, I point with the right hand followed by the hammer.

And when I worked a National, I actually got dinged for pointing at all. The UIC asked why I was pointing before a strike call. I said I was indicating the batter did not manage to check her swing, the pitch was out of the strike zone (as opposed to a normal called strike), so I did it like I was taught. He wasn't impressed so I lost points as a result.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
This mechanic (PU calling check swing a strike) is not even mentioned in the USA Umpire Manual.
I believe it is rise to standing position, give hammer signal.

Quote:
And when I worked a National, I actually got dinged for pointing at all.

Yep.

Last edited by CecilOne; Thu Mar 28, 2019 at 11:50am.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I believe it is say "strike", rise to standing position, give hammer signal.
I think you have to state that you saw a swing. "Yes! She did!" or "That's a swing."

This lets people (especially coaches) know that while the ball was out of the strike zone, you have a swing, and therefore a strike.

Simply just calling a strike will get you in trouble if a pitch is up around the batter's eyes. If you don't somehow acknowledge it was a swing, coaches will be on you for your crappy strike zone.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
If PU called strike, they should never request help.

Dave
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think you have to state that you saw a swing. "Yes! She did!" or "That's a swing."

This lets people (especially coaches) know that while the ball was out of the strike zone, you have a swing, and therefore a strike.

Simply just calling a strike will get you in trouble if a pitch is up around the batter's eyes. If you don't somehow acknowledge it was a swing, coaches will be on you for your crappy strike zone.
I corrected mt post to not say "strike", just signal.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 02:23pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
All codes and mechanics welcome. This came up in a discussion this week: PU calls a strike on a check swing. If PU points, should he use his left arm always, or use the opposite arm as the batter's side? (Left arm for RHBs since they are on left side, etc.)
Here we are taught to point with hand away from the batter ie. Lefty with left hand Righty with right hand. We are also taught just to say swing and leave the verb she or he out.
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Who would check on a called strike?

This is standard instruction early on in training that you do not check on a called strike since that is not the default call if there is a question.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2019, 04:21am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Who would check on a called strike?

This is standard instruction early on in training that you do not check on a called strike since that is not the default call if there is a question.

I agree with you 100%.

Years and and years ago when Junior was just starting umpiring, he knew that you only go for help when a Ball is called on a checked swing, but we had a freshmen baseball game where Team A was getting beat pretty bad (the game was ended by mercy rule). Batter A1 tried to check his swing. Junior pointed with his left hand, announced that he had swung, and did the baseball point off to the side with his right hand. The A-HC's asked Junior to go to me for help, to humor him he did and without missing a beat I put the hammer up. We had a great laugh during our post-game dinner.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Mar 29, 2019, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

I think the OP is about indicating a swing, not about asking for help.
There is nothing in the manuals about this. If you think a point or announcing "swing" is good game management, fine; but expect the ding.
Yes, I realize that many coaches are not experienced enough to know that a swinging strike signal means a swing, so be it.

Also, I am not inclined to umpire for the sake of what coaches think or avoiding disagreements. One side will like, the other won't.

I'm surprised that a point was suggested at a NUS, wonder how long ago.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2019, 10:04am
Stirrer of the Pot

The only verbal I give before a Strike mechanic is if the batter attempts to bunt and misses the pitch. I will point at the batter and say, "Offer", and then give the hammer. Not sure where I picked up that mechanic, and if it's wrong, oh well.

On a checked swing, there's no reason to do anything special. If you judge the batter did go on the swing, you just give the non-verbal hammer indicating there was a swing, just like you would for a full swing.

Yeah, I know; why don't I just give the non-verbal hammer for the bunt attempt as well? I dunno; it's just a habit I picked up years ago, and I can't seem to get rid of it.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker